Chapter 13

Several hours later that same night, we were on the road with our horses in the dead of dusk, sharing what were likely the most random stories from our childhood in an effort to stay awake as we rode.

"Alright, alright, enough about my three-legged cat!" I made an effort to deadpan, but as he was still doubled over laughing it was extremely difficult. "Lafayette!"

He grinned at me as he finally sat back up straight, steering his horse closer to York. "Oh, come on. When you 'ave a three legged cat that still managed to get stuck in a tree, you cannot blame me for laughing at it."

I whacked his knee. "Leave Tottie alone! She's done nothing to merit your ridicule, asshole."

"If zis was my story, would you be laughing?" He gave me a pointed but teasing look, and I pursed my lips.

"I mean, I--" I cut myself off as he raised his eyebrows with skepticism, and huffed. "You're the worst."

"You can say it, but zat does not mean you believe it, mon amie." He shrugged, and I huffed.

"Whatever, Lafayette. Also, at least whisper; I'm pretty sure Maria's asleep back there." I jerked my head toward the girl who had long since slumped against my back, and he nodded. "Anyway, I feel like all we talk about is my strange past. What about you? Your time at the training grounds? Before that?"

He sighed, running a hand through his (unusually free) hair. "I... well, I would say I 'ave lost a lot since leaving ze training grounds. Ze last time I was zere was ze best few months of my life. We really did not do much training."

I chuckled. "Well what are training grounds for? I mean, certainly not for training."

"Exactly!" he laughed, "but non, it was with mes amis who were already in battle, who were given a month or so off."

"Well I'm not sure about you, but I don't think this gives me much of a window into the life of Lafayette." I shrugged, and he rolled his eyes.

"Do not be so impatient, I am getting zere."

"Well hurry it up! You're acting like we have all night," I whined, and he scoffed.

"I would flick you if I was close enough to do it." I rolled my eyes that time. "Anyway, eet was an amazing month. I..." --his voice faltered, if only sightly, and I inhaled sharply-- "I fell in love."

I swallowed the lump in my throat, doing my very best to bite back a grin. "In a month? At the training ground?"

He chuckled lightly, and I raised an eyebrow. "Oui, I know it sounds unlikely. But zere was a woman zere, 'er name was Y/N, and I do not know how to describe, at least not in this language."

"Have you forgotten I speak French?" He raised an eyebrow at me, and I nodded. "Shoot."

He pursed his lips. "Sort of like... retrouvailles, but with someone you 'ave never met before. Are you know?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but just shut it in frustration when I didn't know how to respond at first. "I mean... even though that's the worst description you could've given, I think I really do know what you mean. LIke you met them a month ago, but it just felt like reuniting with someone you've known all your life."

He nodded slowly, a small smile growing on his lips. "Oui. I 'ave really only felt that way with one other person."

"Oh?" I raised an eyebrow. "And who's that?"

He gave me a timid smile, brushing a hair out of his face as he sighed. "Y--"

A gunshot rang out.