Chapter 4

"I do not know what it is about the smells of rain, but it calms me," I said, smiling as I leaned against the windowsill. It had been nearly a month since I arrived, and I was finally getting to know all of the men. As it turned out, they weren't always enormous assholes.

"Really? I hate it," Laurens said and I sighed.

"And 'ere we are again, you are always a downer," I walked back over to my bed and dropped onto the springy mattress.

"Could you two shut up? I'm trying to beat these two at cards," Mulligan said and I rolled my eyes.

"You are awful in cards," I pointed out as he huffed and took another hand.

"That's why I said trying," he said and I chuckled.

I laid there, eyes shut, listening to the rain for a few more minutes. A creak from beside me signaled that the door was opening. My eyes flitted open to glance at who was entering the room.

"Mail," he said, bringing in his crate, "hopefully it's not all soaked."

I furrowed my brow, recognizing the man. Was he the one who was talking to Washington the first day I was here?

"Thanks Burr," Hamilton walked over to the crate and started shuffling through the letters. I didn't move, assuming that I had no mail.

I went back to watching the rain. It was too bad that it was raining, as it was warmer out than it had been in a while. I would've liked to go into town, see the markets and people.

"Hey Y/N, have you met Burr?" Hamilton asked, yanking me from my thoughts.

"Maybe?" I replied, not sure how to answer. I mean, we'd met briefly and I'd used that time to basically tell him that his attack plan was stupid. Hamilton's eyes lit up at my answer.

"He's the prodigy of Princeton College," he informed me excitedly.

"'Ere we go again," Lafayette said tiredly.

"Graduated in two years then joined the Revolution!" Herc added, mimicking Hamilton's excitement.

"An orphan just like me!" Laurens joined in. Hamilton was an orphan? I felt my heart stop as I realized what that meant.

"Alright, enough," Hamilton cut them off, rolling his eyes, "Burr, this in Y/N Legrand; Y/N, this is Aaron Burr."

"Nice to meet you," I gave him a forced smile and shook his hand.

"You as well," he replied with a smile that appeared genuine before taking the crate and leaving again. That was when the reality hit me.

Hamilton was an orphan. I would never get to know my mother. My stomach turned to lead as I sat onto my bed. I would never have someone to call Meré.

I walked back over to the windowsill, looking out so that they couldn't see my face. I did everything I could to suppress the hot tears stinging my eyes.

I stood there, looking out but not seeing anything. I must have been there for hours, though they felt like minutes.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

"Y/N, we're heading down to the pub, wanna come?" Laurens asked. His words shook my from my daze, distracting me for a moment from my feelings. I hadn't a clue how long I'd been standing there. It was only then that I finally realized that the rain had stopped.

"Non. Go on ahead without me. I am not really in the mood," I turned around and sat on my bed, giving him a small smile. He raised an eyebrow but shrugged and didn't question it.