2. Diagon Alley

Chapter 2.
Diagon Alley

{}

August 15th

I glanced up above me, my eyes grazing over the square sign.
'THE LEAKY CAULDRON'
The fancy golden letters draped around the sign behind a black cauldron, up against a gold background. The sign looked ancient as small bits peeled off carelessly.

"A leaky cauldrons bad, why would you name the entrance to Diagon Alley something like that?" I quizzed dad, confusion overcoming my face as my brows knitted together. 

Dad laughed lightly, we had both been waiting for this day for years.

"I don't know Rose, good question." He shook his head slightly, his smile permanent on his face as we began walking towards the door.

I slowly stepped in behind dad, my eyes skating over the packed pub. A cheery vibrance filled the air as everyone gleamed joyfully. That was until, dad and I entered. Eyes glued to dad, and then to me, then back to dad. I made slight eye contact with a couple, their beady eyes filled with confusion and doubt.

"What?" Dad hissed, his snappy voice menacing the crowd.

I always knew people were afraid of my dad, but I never actually found out why. As far as I could tell, he was lovely and by far the best person that I had ever known.

A few seconds after dad had spoken, the customers quickly turned back to their drinks and returned to their cheery state. I exhaled, suddenly feeling the tenseness that my body had filled with, quickly letting it all out. Dad slowly walked towards an empty table, his black shoes meeting the wooden floor with loud taps, his black robe flowing behind him. I shuffled behind him, lowering myself into the seat across from the one dad was in. I immediately felt out of place. After all, I was dressed in black jeans and a black t-shirt, everyone else seemed dressed appropriately for the occasion, all in loose robes or fancy collared shirts with leather waist coats. I was the only one to be wearing jeans.

"Are you excited?" Dad asked, snapping me out of my self-conscious thoughts.

"Yes," I confirmed, a smile gracing my lips as I remembered why we were here.

I was finally, after all these years, going to get my things for Hogwarts.
Dad returned a happy smile.

"What can I get you?" My eyes snapped towards a short man who stood wearily at the edge of our table. 

He forced a smile, the nerves inside him clearly showing. His milky white hair stuck out frantically, wrinkles dropping down his face dramatically as he held out a note pad with a feathers quill in his shaky hands.

"The usual for me, Primrose?" Dad spoke, his eyes glancing to me as he nodded towards the menu placed neatly on the table.

I picked it up, scanning it over in search of a cold beverage, pretending not to listen to the few words of dialect between my dad and the waiter.

"You never told me you have a daughter?" The man asked and I noticed how the rest of the bar began peeking their ears up and listening in as well as me.

"I didn't think it was any of your business, Tom," Dad growled, his deep voice darkening as he glared daggers at the man in front.