The Preface

I sit on the edge of an office building, overlooking the shining city below me. The view this late at night is spectacular, but it's the last thing on my mind.

The first thing on my mind is him.

The boy I loved—or at least, the boy I thought I loved.

Funny how life turns out, isn't it?

One moment you're a high school senior with no where to go, the next you're someplace doing things you never could have even imagined.

I close my eyes, willing myself to relax—but the instant I do, it all comes back to me.

Me and him, meeting for the first time.

The night we told each other secrets.

Him, caging my body against the wall with his own, his lips crashing down on mine again and again, the adrenaline and heat running through my veins—

I force my eyes open, desperate for the memories to vanish, every last one of them.

If only I hadn't said yes, I thought to myself.

I would never have been in danger.
I would never have felt real pain.

I never would have met him.

One choice. One decision. That was all it took to send my life spiraling in a direction that I couldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams.

I look out at the city below me, considering for just a moment what would happen if I decided to jump, to end it all.

But I can't. People need me. And I have too many promises to fulfill.

I back away from the edge of the rooftop and clamber down the stairwell, trying desperately to imagine a life where I had chosen differently.

Maybe then, I wouldn't have so many secrets to keep.