7. Of Pistols and Other Such Machinery

Frank stumbled out of the wagon and sighed, blinking in the harsh sunlight and squinting as it burned his eyes. He felt tired and achy but happier than he had felt since... well, ever.

When he had woke up that morning to Cain handing him some coffee and another one of those delicious sweet pastry's he had wondered if he had simply dreamt about what had happened in the night. But when he had glanced to the table at the other end of the cabin his heart had missed a beat to see Gerard's white silk gloves still resting there.

Cain had looked worried for a long while, quietly asking Frank if he was okay but it soon became clear that Frank was better than okay. He was ecstatic.

As they had eaten their breakfast they had both felt a little awkward at first. Frank had just had sex with a man for the first time, a man who was becoming one of his best friends, and he wasn't exactly sure how to feel about it. All he knew was that he had enjoyed it and that Gerard had enjoyed it too... and to know that he had made the ringmaster happy made Frank feel dizzy with pride.

Once they had eaten Cain had talked it out with Frank, making sure he had no regrets or felt used in anyway, and once they both knew how the other felt they had shared a warm embrace and Cain had grinned at Frank, reminding him of his promise to take him out for the day. Frank had then got dressed in a rush and hopped out of the wagon, eager to see the new town they were in.

Cain smiled warmly at Frank as he blinked in the sunlight, his eyes taking a moment to adjust before he beamed back at the clown and kissed his cheek.

"Mm, you ready to go exploring?" Cain asked brightly, offering Frank his hand and the mechanic took it with a smile, lacing their fingers as he nodded.

"Yup! Let's go." He grinned, rushing off with Cain and making the older man laugh at his enthusiasm.

The two walked through the town of gypsy wagons until they reached the outskirts of the field they had set up in. They stopped and looked out at the rows of houses before them, beautiful, timber cottages with thatched roofs stood in lines with flowers overflowing from window boxes and little front yards. Frank sighed happily and breathed in the scent of the flowers that the sun was making rise into the air and Cain squeezed his hand before letting go lest anyone from the town see.

"Which way shall we go?" Cain asked brightly, looking left and then right. Trying to work out which way would hold the most fun for them. Frank copied him and gazed down both directions, biting his lip. He didn't suppose it mattered, it all looked beautiful and he wanted to see it all.

"I don't mind. I've never been to such a pretty place before." He giggled, Cain grinning at him and nodding for him to follow as he set off to the left.

"We'll go this way then." He beamed, walking at a steady but brisk pace down the cobbled streets of the town. Frank followed him with a large smile, looking about in awe as he took in all the sights and smells of the foreign place. It was hard to believe somewhere so beautiful lay just a day's travelling away from the other town and Frank was already eager to see what other places they would go to.

He chatted to Cain as they walked, the day early and the streets quiet. The sky was blue and only a smudge of white cloud could be seen in the horizon. It seemed to be a small town, the two men reaching the town square after only ten minutes of walking.

The square was cobbled like the rest of the streets and had a large stone fountain in the middle underneath a clock tower that stood on four legs. It was providing shade for a young woman selling roses from a basket, tied in bunches with white ribbon. Cain offered to buy Frank one with a playful smirk and the mechanic blushed, giggling as he shoved the clown lightly and insisted he didn't want one.