14. Thank You For The Venom

At some point in the early hours of the morning Frank could not keep his eyes open another second and he slumped against his table as he collapsed asleep. He had been watching Gerard all night to the point where he wasn’t even able to focus his eyes properly. The ringmaster was still breathing, but Frank was still deeply worried about him.

Gerard showed no sign of waking up yet, and when Frank fell asleep the last thought in his mind was that he hoped this was all just a bad dream and that when he woke up everything would be okay again. He certainly didn’t dream now he was asleep, too exhausted to do anything other than snore ever so softly with his face pressed against the hard table.

A few hours passed in blissful slumber, Frank not moving a muscle he was so deeply sleeping but soon a loud banging against the wagon door woke him up far too early for his liking.

“Mmph...” Frank grumbled softly as he slipped off his chair and practically crawled to the door. He was so tired he barely even glanced at Gerard before he pushed the door open with a yawn. “Yeah?”

“Frankie!” Cain gasped, scooping Frank up into his arms the second he opened the door and hugging him tight. “Are you okay? How’s Gerard? I’ve been so worried!” He whimpered, squeezing him tight and making him choke a little before Silver gently tugged Cain back with a smile.

“Don’t kill the man Cain.” He joked before going pale and covering his mouth as he realised what he said. “Oh, damn – Frankie I... I’m sorry I –”

“It doesn’t matter.” Frank said quickly, his bone crunching hug from Cain having woken him up a little more and he didn’t want either men being sensitive around him because of what happened. He just wanted to be treated as normal; it made him feel less panicked.

“I... I watched Gee all night, I think he’s okay.” He said softly as he stood aside and let his two friends into the wagon.

Both Cain and Silver looked nervous as they huddled close together and followed Frank to peer at the ringmaster on the bed.

Frank hadn’t put the covers over Gerard, not wanting anything to hurt the older man and so he was completely exposed to their watching eyes. His chest was an array of angry looking wounds that had been stitched neatly shut, but all the blood had been washed away and he was still clearly breathing.

“I’d say since he survived the night he should be fine.” Cain whispered, laying a hand on Frank’s shoulder and squeezing gently as Frank stared at his lover with a growing feeling of pain. He loved him more than anything, and to see him like this was making his heart break itself over and over again.

“Shall I get the doctor to check him?” Silver asked quietly, Frank nodding but saying nothing. The slightly taller man sighed and turned him round to hug him a moment, pecking his cheek. “He’ll be okay now Frankie, you don’t need to worry.” He promised, offering a gentle smile which Frank was slow to return.

“I guess...” He agreed, shrugging and kissing Silver’s forehead. “Go fetch Amelia.” He smiled and Silver nodded, hugging him quickly again before slipping out of the wagon to go and get her.

Once Silver was gone Cain gently took Frank’s hand in his and laced their fingers, looking at him and smiling weakly.

“Are you okay Frankie?” He asked softly, worried about the mechanic. Frank was obviously upset and that was understandable, but there was an edge to him that was worrying Cain more. He had a thoughtful look in his eyes as he gazed at Gerard and Cain felt uneasy over what he could possibly be wondering about.

“Cain... Does anyone have any ideas where Maria might have gone?” Frank asked quietly after a long moment, his voice steady and calm, his body remaining relaxed even as he felt Cain tense beside him.