Step 41: Dance

Jack had no idea what he was doing.

He did, he was waiting for Kloee to find him in the airport, then he'd go see Mark. What he didn't know what how, or why, or how he'd deal with it. He didn't even put any thought to how Mark would deal with it.

Jack looked down at his phone, seeing that Hopper texted him.

I think you should be just getting off your flight, if you aren't all ready.

Yeah, he typed back. Just waiting for my ride.

Oh. I don't mean to send you on a guilt trip or anything, but we never did get around to getting those fish I promised.

Jack sighed, glancing around for Kloee. There'll be a next time. This time I'm promising. Even if I don't move back I'll have to come visit.

Kloee hugged him, making him almost drop his phone. "Are you sure you want to do this?" Jack hugged her back.

"Yeah. I really think I have to, it just seems like the right thing to do."

The car ride to Mark's was quiet, and it seemed to pass by quickly. Jack rubbed his palms on his black jeans, letting out a breathy laugh, glancing at Kloee. "Thank you. I'll text you if it doesn't go well and I need a place to stay."

Kloee gave him a hug, waiting until he opened the front door before pulling out of the driveway.

Jack knocked, but there was no answer. He stood, conflicted, for a moment, before pushing the door open. He walked inside, setting his bag down next to him. Looking inside the dainty house gave him a sense of the first night he stayed there. The Irishman wasn't proud of that night, or many other nights he was here, especially since Hopper had a completely different approach on getting him cleaned up, which worked. He was back on a mostly normal sleep schedule, along with a better eating habit, with a much nicer grasp on his alcohol consumption. The only thing he didn't give up that reminded him of his past was cigarettes and Mark's favorite flannel - which he took with him to Ireland on accident.

Jack walked up the stairs, looking to his left just in time for Mark to open his bedroom door. The two stood for what felt like an eternity, watching eachother. Jack was positive that he would be the one to break down into a sobbing mess, but it was Mark. It started with his mouth opening, like he was going to say something, but then he closed it. Then he closed his eyes, which started tearing up, followed by him taking all of Jack in through his tears.

Jack was grateful to see that him leaving really did have some sort of effect on Mark. He was glad when the other stopped staring and took a few shy steps forward, meeting Jack halfway for a tight embrace. Jack was conflicted; he had his reasons for leaving, which he wanted to stand by, but he loved Mark so much, and he missed him, but he never let himself see that when he was away with Hopper. He denied it and lied to himself about his feelings. Now he couldn't, he couldn't tell himself that he wasn't overjoyed to see Mark. Jack was plenty happy that the, now, black haired man was holding him close, and he was unable to explain the fact that he knew he was falling in love all over again.

The two stood, holding eachother, crying, not saying anything, for nearly an hour before Mark pulled Jack into his room, gently, by his arm. He pulled back the covers and invited Jack to lay next to him. Jack curled up to Mark's chest, breathing in the scent that he missed so much, soaking up the feeling of the butterflies dancing around his stomach when Mark wrapped both arms around him, holding on like he'd slip away and disappear if he wasn't paying attention.

Mark didn't want to go to sleep, even though Jack already had, in his arms. He was terrified that if he did, he would wake up and Jack would he gone and it would all have just been a dream. So he sat there, awake, holding Jack for the rest of the night.

Through the half open curtains, rays of sunshine started to brighten the room, and Jack shifted in Mark's grasp.

"Good morning." Mark felt a stab of what he could only label as regret, as he looked at his sleepy boyfriend, not boyfriend, and heard his rough morning voice. He knew he was the only reason Jack left, the only reason why he missed out on nearly two months of mornings like these.

"Good morning." He smiled, deciding to just be happy with the moment there was now. He sat up, walking to the kitchen. His plan was to make pancakes for the both, but Jack started some calming music, and pulled Mark away from the half made batter. He placed a hand on Mark's shoulder, grabbing his hand. Mark got the idea, and started to lead as they slow danced around the kitchen, not caring about anything except that they were together again.

ill have you know, as the author i don't support unhappy/unhealthy/abusive relationships. nobody accused me of such, but i feel like it must be said. literally, would not recommend having this au septiplier to be your relationship goals. js.