Chapter Nine ✓

~Hailey~

Kevin starts the car and ushers me to go in. It was a long and silent drive until he decided to talk. 

"I'm glad you agreed to this. I hesitated to ask you about it either way."

"What's your point?" I said in a harsh way.

He sighs. "I'm sorry. I just thought-"

"It's fine, just, can you just focus on the road?"

"Hailey I-"

"I respect your efforts, I recognize that you took the time to prepare."

"Thanks Hailey," he smiles. 

After a few more hours of driving we finally arrived to our destination. We were here, in our old homes. The ones that were nearly attached to each other. Of course it would be empty, I moved my parents to the city and I have no idea of the whereabouts of Kevin's parents. 

I hear the jingle of keys behind me. Kevin hands them to me and says "Want to do the honors?"

I happily smile and opened the door. The memories in this house came flooding me. It hit me in a way I didn't understand. It was painful and happy to see the house again. 

"Go upstairs to your room, I'll be right back"

 My heart softened at that moment and I couldn't refuse. I did as told. I went upstairs and opened the room. I made myself comfortable and touched the walls. I was startled  when I heard a knock. I looked over to the window. Flashes of me and Kevin talking to each other appeared in my head. I heard another knock and ran over to open the window. 

"Hello, neighbor," Kevin beamed.

I smiled and leaned on the window's frame. "How come this house isn't sold yet?"

"Oh, It is."

"Aren't we trespassing then?"

"Nope, the owner is in front of you."

"You bought both of them?" I said, a little shocked. 

"Yeah, is there a problem?" he laughs at me and I shook my head in response. "Before I forget, remember Vivian?"

"Yeah, what about her?" My mood suddenly crashed.

"She's came out during college and she had a crush on you." 

"Really? But aren't you two getting married soon?"

"No, she's getting married to her girlfriend. So uhm..about that thing I dragged her into in college."

"You've got some nerves trying to bring that up but go on."

"Back then, she and I had a deal that I'd help her out with fake kisses and stuff whenever she passed by just so people would stop urging her to go on dates that were set up for her. She was also heavily bullied to be a tomboy so.."

When I didn't speak, he just continued. 

"I only agreed to do it once, when a lot of the people who bothered her were around. She didn't get the memo that I haven't explained to you yet and anger got the best of me back then so I just-"

I blinked the confusion away and just burst out laughing. "You explained so much as if it still mattered now. I guess it was all a coincidence but still..that doesn't change the fact that-"

"I know, wait, move over a bit," Kevin tells me. He hops over to my old house and closes the window to his and my house. "I'm glad we cleared that out."

We sat on the floor, leaned against the wall and caught up on everything else we missed out on from each other's lives. Once it goes quiet, he looks at me warmly before leaning forward. 

"Kevin, please, we're not going that way," I said as I start to lean back. He nods and just hugs me. 

"I'm sorry, I knew I couldn't force you to feel the same way as before but at least I tried," he sighs. He stands up. "I'll wait for you in the car.." He leaves with a dead expression. 

~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~

After a few minutes I stand up and leave the room, locking the door behind me. I took one last look at the house before I walked out the door. We were quiet and awkward in the car, he looked like a mess again. 

"I'm sorry for that," he breaks the silence. 

I only nod in response as he drives. He mumbles, thinking I won't hear. 

"It hurts that I still love you.."

~End~