| FORTY TWO |

chapter forty-two
not edited 

The door to the room opened in the middle of the night, whispers filling the room as feet shuffled inside and closed the door. The boys probably thought Niall was asleep, trying to be quiet to not awaken him from his slumber. But the blond was wide awake, still thinking about what had just happened to him and what his future was going to look like. 

Niall didn't want to talk to them all though, he was still angry that they allowed Niall's father to talk to him that way and make him look like some kicked puppy that needed order and control. So, he closed his eyes as soon as he heard the mattress dip beside him, pretending that he was asleep as his husbands got into the bed one by one, still talking in hushed voices. 

"Should we tell him though? I-I hate keeping things from him, especially when he gets that upset." It was Zayn's concerned voice speaking up, still in a whispered tone but had enough volume that the omega could still hear. 

"I don't want him to stress or feel like he needs to be the one to put everything on his shoulders. He is pregnant for god sakes, he needs to rest and relax." Now it was Louis' voice, but he sounded farther away, probably looking out the newly replaced balcony doors. 

"He won't like us, he's already pushing himself away from us." Zayn's voice was low, and it sounded like his voice was wavering on the edge of tears. It made something clump up inside Niall now, as if he could feel the pain transferring from Zayn to him. The glory of having a mate. 

"I-I don't know anymore, can we just sleep? I'm exhausted." Louis spoke. The oldest alpha obviously was avoiding answering Zayn's question, by the sound of his voice, he didn't trust himself to speak any longer anyways. 

Why was it such a hard topic? Why couldn't they just tell Niall their plans and be honest with the omega? Don't they realize they are hurting him more by doing this? Zayn knew, Niall could tell already by the guilt laced in his tone when he talked to the others. But Louis didn't, and Liam wasn't even speaking, or was the alpha even here?

Did Liam refuse to come upstairs and sleep with him? Was he that much of a disgraceful omega to his alphas now? It made Niall feel like his body was going to melt into the mattress, how much embarrassment and pain he was feeling all in one body. He hoped it was just the hormones sparking all these depressing thoughts, because he didn't know how long he could think like this before he'd combust. 

The morning light was bright in his face when Niall opened his eyes next time. It made him cringe and move a hand up to block the sun from shinning in his face, him still wincing as he  forced himself to roll over onto his back to stare up at the ceiling. 

He could feel a body beside him, their warm heat radiating off them and transferring onto Niall's. The persons breathing was rhythm-like, so that meant they were still deep into their sleep. Niall took a chance and looked over, almost flinching when he saw how close Liam's face was pressed to his, facing him and looking pouty with his lips jutted out and brows knotted loosely on his forehead. It was a cute sight, and Niall couldn't help the fond smile that appeared across his face. 

It was hard to stay mad at all of them, they were just so beautiful and perfect for the omega it would be torture if Niall dragged his grudge out any longer. But maybe this time he could approach this a little differently, now he will prod them for answers but with a calm and collected voice. 

He should probably tell them about Watson being in his head as well, and maybe then they will rethink keeping secrets from him. Or, even better, Niall can use his confession as bait. He can tell them if they kept on keeping information from him, Niall would do the same back. It probably wasn't going to be the nicest thing, a deadly cycle that might not turn out good in the end. But Niall couldn't do this any longer, there was no way he was going to sit pretty and watch his alphas take all the damage and do all the work.