Jazz

Jazz

It's the year 2148. For the future, you'd think that it would evolve for the greater good. It hasn't. Nobody talks to anybody.

Everyone is addicted to music.

There are new machines, no more of those ear bad stuff.

The new machines play whatever you are thinking with a micro chip implanted in your eardrum. They implant it in your ear when you areborn. The chip is called M-Chip.

I, on the other hand, wouldn't let that happen. I do not like music, and I was a very loud and energetic baby. I would not let it happen. I protested.

My parents decided to wait until I was a toddler to do the surgery, since as a baby I was very picky. I didn't let that happen either. Nothing would put me down.

I have been protesting ever since. Silently of course, I don't want a nad rep.

Why wouldn't I get the chance to decide something like that? It's my life. I don't think things like that should be chosen for us.

The M-Chip works like this. You think of a song, and then it plays in your head.

I wouldn't know how loud, or how it actually works, but that's what I hear from my parents (considering I don't have one).

I am currently 18, and it is my first year of college. Everything is electronic now, so there is a website called "FinishCollege.com" that has pieces of writing from around the year of 2060, when the last building college shut down and was reconstructed and made into an M-Chip factory.

Then, you get quizzed. These quizzes and tests could be taken at anytime, but most people procrastinate until the day before they have to get their diploma printed out.

I am planning to do all of my classes early so I can get through college as fast as possible. I cannot wait to reach my goal.

My goal is to be a doctor that can remove M-Chips, or that speacialize in listening to music without M-Chips.

I don't know how I'm going to start this business, but it is my goal.

*********

I was walking down the street to my favorite little cafe, Cafe Reggae. I had my backpack that contained my laptop, wallet, and cell phone.

It was a sunny summer day, so it was a great day for a Machacino. The Machacino is a drink that was first invented in 2120. It is a combination of a Macchiato and a Cappucino, but it is a cold drink that is blended like a shake.

When I got there and got my drink, I sat down at one of the round tables decorated with music notes.

I rolled my eyes. Why is music so important?!

I was starting a new lesson on FinishCollege.com. I do a lesson daily. It was about the different parts of the ear, and where exactly the M-Chip is placed.

During these types of lessons, I look closely at the ear. I look for the most safe place for surgery within a human ear. Afterwards, I usually research how the M-Chip doctors put it into the baby in the first place. I used to think I could reverse the prices. It is more specialized for babies though, so I wouldn't be able to do this on people who are experienced with it. They wouldn't react positively.

I totally getting into my research, and then someone tapped my table from behind me to get my attention.

"Jazz?"

I looked up to see Karoke (Karrie) looking at my research. I met her at a music camp that my parents sent me to when they thought I was psycho for not liking music. She went voluntarily.

I slammed my computer shut.

"Please don't invade my privacy," I said, clearing my throat.

"Sorry, it's just that I've been calling your name for a couple of minutes from my table over there," she pointed at a table against the windows. I shrugged.

"Uh okay? Did you need something?" I asked.

"Just was wondering if you wanted to sit with me and Elvis over there."

"No thanks, now I'd like to get back to my research," I said, pointing at my closed computer.

"Oh okay. Bye," she said and turned away with a disappointed look on her face.

"Now I lost my funk," I murmured, annoyed at the foolish distraction. Then I mentally laughed at my pun. I opened my computer and continued my lesson/research.