Prologue

A/N: Hey guys! :D I know it's been a while since my last unfinished story (sorry about that) but I'm back now - better than ever!

Since the readers felt like this was a dry chapter and is only introducing the plotline, I just turned it into a Prologue.

Give this one a shot :)

Make sure to follow me to receive news about the latest updates and whatnot! 

Three months ago

I was just about to blow out the wonky candle when—

"It's not working out, Mel." 

Really?  He didn't even let me savor this stale Kroger cupcake he brought on his way over.

I grunted. We all know that's code for 'I'm breaking up with you'. Been here before!

'It's not you, it's me?' Heard that one before too!

Dan, or was it Dave, my seventh boyfriend this year was miserably trying to ease into the imminent break-up. 

By this point, I should have guessed that I, Melissa Connery, was just not meant for dating. On the final day of junior year, my boyfriend for the last month was dumping me. We were alone in my room and he had spent the last hour kissing me senseless so it was understandable that I saw anything but a break-up coming. 

It was my seventeenth birthday, for crying out loud!

Any last tidbits of my repeatedly punctured dignity have been shred.

Strangely, I didn't feel upset this time around. I don't think I felt anything anymore. I casually swung out from underneath the covers of my bed, slipped on my boots and walked over to the door. 

Holding it open, I stared at the half-naked guy like it was the most obvious thing in the world. This was my room so—

Get out!

He hurriedly grabbed all his stuff and made a dash for it. Dan-Dave looked back with a masked solemn expression only to watch me slam the door in his face. While I was at it, I decided to slip him the bitter smile as well. He could die of guilt for all I cared.

I blew out the only candle that was giving any light to the room.

Happy Birthday, Mel!

I should just give up on boys for good.

Now

"So, what does baby Jamie want for breakfast today?" I cajoled.

Not that I could cook to save my life.

We were at a nearby 24/7 diner, 122 Conch Street. That really was the name. Their unmistakable competition was the diner two doors down, 124 Conch Street. Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

The Conch diners were an institution in this town, like Luke's is to Stars Hollow. Jamie and I came here all the time and our usual hostess, Miranda, was ready to take our order. 

My nine-year old sister, all of 4'1, scrunched her face and looked at me in disapproval. 

She was right. Baby Jamie was out of order now.

Lil J? Perfect, at least for the next decade!

"Paaancakes!" Jamie squealed with far too much enthusiasm for so early in the morning. I smiled at Miranda and placed our order. My dreary eyes called for a tall order of coffee, all on their own.