The Plans

I can't get Trinity alone. Every time I come to visit, Zerach is in the way, hanging around, watching me. I think he might suspect me. The door to my old bedroom opens and I look over to see Sammael enter and shut the door behind him.

"It's been over a week since our agreement; where is she?" He asks with a slight tone of impatience.

"I haven't gotten a clean opening yet." I respond, glancing down at the book I set down.

"You're taking too long! Get her to me!" Sammael yells across the room. "Tell me her location and I will just go get her."

"No. I'll get her." In reality, I don't want Zerach and him to get into a fight and Trinity to die in the cross fire.

"You bet-" I don't her the rest of his words before I step out in Zerach's hut. Its in the middle of the night and Trinity is in her bottom bunk, sleeping. Zerach gently jumps off the top bunk and crosses to me blindly in the dark.

"She's sleeping. You should go, she needs her rest." Zerach whispers to me. I look past him and at Trinity. He doesn't move.

"I just needed to see her." I whisper back and take a step back before turning and going into a passage.

I visit every day for another week before one day I step out of my passage and see Azrael. Trinity and him are sitting on the couch, playing Jenga on the coffee table. He is sitting to close to her. He moves a block and Trinity leans forward and tests some blocks; his eyes move up to me and he sees the way I am staring at him. He gives a small smiles and inches slightly closer to Trinity, his leg pushes against hers and she doesn't notice. She's too focused on trying to find a block that is loose enough to move without toppling the tower. Azrael watches me the entire time. Trinity slowly pushes a block. Azrael begins to move and arm and I watch it carefully as it wraps around Trinity.

"Don't you dare." She whispers, continuing to slowly push the block.

"What are you going to do about it?" His hand slides onto Trinity's waist and she moves away from it, but only presses herself against him. I look over at the kitchen where Zerach is paying him no attention, cooking food.

"Noo!" I look at Trinity immediately and she starts laughing as Azrael tickles her. She pulls her hand away from the tower immediately to keep from knocking it over and tries to pry Azrael's hands away from her sides and stomach. Stop touching her. He's too close.

I clear my throat, "Trinity." I say and she looks over at me, panting and smiling. She sits up and gets off the couch, coming to me. I watch Azrael behind her as she wraps her arms around me and gives me a hug. He has a smug smirk on his face. She pulls away and wonders over to where Zerach is making food.

Trinity washes dishes with Zerach after they eat and I stand, leaning against the wall watching her. I could have gotten her when she hugged me earlier, but I was distracted be Azrael. Azrael walks by me and toward where Trinity is and I grab his arm, pulling him away from Trinity.

"Stay away from Trinity." I say firmly, gripping his arm tightly. His eyes slide down my arm and to my hand squeezing his arm. He laughs slightly and looks back at me.

"You should trust me... or I will hurt Trinity... or give away this location. Back off." He jerks his arm out of my grip and continues walking over to the kitchen. I stare after him before turning and walking into a passage.

"Father." Sammael turns from talking to someone and looks at me. The person he was talking to stares at me before bowing slightly to acknowledge me. Sammael dismisses everyone in the room with the wave of a hand before walking over to me, every one of his footsteps echoing around the large room off of the marble floors.

"Have you changed your mind about telling me where she is?" He asks, stopping in front of me.

"Yes. She's on an uncharted tropical island 1500 kilometers south of Hawaii." He nods, smiling and he sets a hand on my shoulder.

"This is the right choice, Asmodeus." I stare at him for a second before replying.

"You better keep her safe." He nods and turns around walking toward the doors. I hope I made the right choice.

Trinity

I hang up clothes on the clothesline outside and when I'm done, I drop off the wicker laundry basket by the door before walking along the path to the beach. I walk to the edge of the damp sand from the tide and close my eyes, basking in the sun. I'm glad it finally stopped raining. The small hairs on the back of my neck suddenly stand on end and I get the feeling I am being watched. I open my eyes and stare out and the ocean for a second before rapidly turning around. I scan the tree line and I see Zerach step off the end of the wooden pathway, watching me. I let out a relieved sigh and turn back around, looking at the sun. It's slowly going down, but I still feel its warmth. I take a step back and slip off my shoes before walking into the damp sand and into the water until it's just past my ankles. The water is cool and slightly refreshing. I stretch before turning and starting back toward the path. I glance over at where Zerach was building his boat and see that the storm ripped everything apart and he will have to start all the way over. I'll help him as much as I can.

Something wakes me up in the middle of the night and I listen to the silence of the hut for a while before rolling around and getting comfortable again. I fall into that place in between sleep and awareness and I hear a footstep behind me, but barely register it before a hand grabs my arm and pulls me out of bed. I gasp and fight blindly in the dark.

"Zerach?" I shout and I hear quick movements and wings unfurling.

"Trinity?" Zerach's voice is confused and nearby, but not close enough so he wasn't the one who pulled me out of bed.

"I can't see." I whisper and hold my hands out in front of me, slowly walking forward.

"Something's wrong... I can't sense anything. Everything is murky and foggy. Where are you? Trinity, what happened?" My breathing is loud as I panic and try to find something that gives away where I am.

"Someone pulled me out of bed. Was it you?" I find a wall and slowly feel along it.

"No." He responds, sounding like he is standing somewhere in the opposite direction of where I am going so I stop and go the other way. I walk a while before touching someone with my finger tips. I let out a sigh of relief and use both hands to feel along their chest.

"Zerach..." I whisper and continue to feel.

"Trinity?" Zerach's voice is far away. I quickly step away from this person.

"Who is this? Who are you?" I asked rushed and panicked, stumbling away from them. It's so dark. I trip backwards over something and fall. Suddenly all the candles in the room come to life at once and even though it's not that bright of a light it still burns my eyes. I look up and see the person who pulled me out of bed and that I was touching earlier. My heart skips and I become terrified as Sammael stares down at me. Zerach stands by the door with his wings out and he looks disoriented for some reason, like he can't see correctly. Sammael drags me up and Zerach summons his angel blade and tilts the blade so that is pointed toward us.

"Let her go." Flames lick around our feet and Zerach's eyes seem to adjust.

"No can do." I struggle against Sammael's restraining arms and Zerach moves fast as he throws the blade straight at us. Sammael moves and then catches the blade with his hand right in front of my chest. That would have killed me. Sammael's hand begins to drip with blood and he throws the blade right back at Zerach. Sammael tightens his grip on me and pulls me back. Zerach suddenly appears in front of us right as a passage opens up around us and we're gone.