"It's not as if we're over an ocean."

Frank's POV

My head slowly raised from the ground, blood roaring in my ears as I watched the fight before me. My eyesight was blurred from the smoke rising on the ship, all I could make out was the colours dancing back and forth as Jason and Percy fought each other. My eyes watered and my nose burned in protest, grey-black smoke dancing across my vision like a falling fog.

Smoke.

My heart sunk into my stomach and I darted upwards. My hands jerked in pain as I pressed them into the burning metal of the mast supports. I recoiled from it, pulling my hands to my chest as I looked around for Hazel, my hands subconsciously reaching for my charred little life force.

Hazel lay a few feet away from me, curled into a ball with her hands over her head. Beside her, Nico was on his knees, staring in horror at the raging carnage before him. He turned to face Hazel and darted towards her, falling down next to her and shaking her in desperation.

Hazel's head lifted off the ground for a moment and she mumbled something before falling back to ground. Nico's shoulders slumped in unison with mine, relief flooding through both of us knowing she was alive. He cradled her head on his lap and I turned away, happy she was in safe hands.

I wiped an arm across my face and started to search for where the others had landed, hoping I could help the others. Annabeth and Piper were the closest to me; Leo and Coach Hedge were both unconscious by the controls of the ship; and Thalia was on her hands and knees, her face grim as she pulled herself to her feet.

I waved a hand to catch her attention and her gaze caught mine, I pointed to myself and then to Leo and Coach Hedge, then pointing to her and then Piper and Annabeth. Thalia gave me a firm nod, moving towards the two girls as I raced for Leo and Coach Hedge.

I woke Coach Hedge first, shaking him awake until his goat legs kicked me away, his bleary eyes opening a second later. They widened a small fraction and Coach Hedge gruffly apologised to me, his baseball bat tight in his grip.

"Sorry, Cupcake," he said. "Force of habit."

"It's fine," I managed, clutching my stomach as I doubled over. "Just wake up Leo and we're good."

He grunted and turned to Leo, prodding his unconscious form with his bat. Leo groaned but didn't move. I sighed and walked away from them, hearing Leo's yelp of pain as I jogged over to where the others stood. I dodged around a burning piece of wood, snatching the non-burning side and tossing it overboard.

The others were gathered behind the mast, hidden from the views of Jason and Percy as they fought but close enough that we'd be able to help one of them in time if things got too ugly. They had gathered around Annabeth as she spoke, dependant on the daughter of a wisdom goddess for a solution.

"We need water, it's the only way we'll get rid of the smaller fires before they escalate into something more... problematic," she stated with folded arms.

Piper and Thalia nodded their heads in agreement.

"But where exactly are we going to get the water from?" Nico asked her, speaking up from where he supported Hazel, who was clinging to his shoulder to stay upright. "It's not as if we're over an ocean."