Chapter 3

She took off and went to get the things William had requested. As she was doing that William went to go turn on the shower. He set it to where it was nice and hot. Then got in and was washed up by the time Skylar got back with his things and went in the bedroom. Just as she walked in and set the items down William walked out with only a pair of semi-tight jeans. She looked at him and started to blush really bad as she got a good look of his muscular body. His body was wet from the water, and steam arose off from him. Water ran down to his stomach where he had a frame for abs. His chest was scarred from his right shoulder to his ribs, and he had another scar right by his heart, longer than four inches. She blushed so much and got so shy that she didn't say anything and only quickly set down his items and rushed out of the room. She couldn't get the image of his bare chest out of her head. It made her more shy to think that that was the first time she’d ever seen a man’s body. Skylar passed her kitchen, her face still bright red. She had to admit to herself she liked what she seen. She didn't want to go back to her bedroom, for fear he’d be cocky about it. Not realizing how late it was she started to feel really tired. She was still reluctant to go back in the bedroom where William was residing, but she knew she was going to have to go to sleep soon. She took a deep breath, “C’mon Skylar, you can handle it, you're strong,” she thought to herself as she walked through the corridor to her bedroom.

She took a cautious step. She wanted to ask William about his scars. And the intriguing necklace that'd been hanging around his neck. It was really pretty she'd noted. As she walked in her room she noted the sound of soft breathes and carefully got in bed, avoiding waking William up. She yawned and heard his voice, soft like velvet, “I’m sorry Skylar, I hadn't expected you to be back so soon…” his soft voice trailed off.

She felt her face heat up again. "Well, goodnight Skylar," William said.

"Goodnight," she responded. She turned on her side trying to go to sleep. As she was dozing off, William's naked wet chest popped back in her head. She blushed darkly and was thankful for the darkness covering it as she turned onto her back and tried thinking about anything except how incredibly hot his body was. She didn't know what time it was or how long it took her before she fell asleep but after awhile she finally did.

“No, no. No more, not again," waking abruptly, William realized he’d been talking in his sleep, “That same stupid nightmare,” he growled getting up.

He went outside to take his anger out by training. He began training in the fashion he always did. Starting first with his bare fists. Then, he pulled his knife out. It was a special knife. No one knew about it. Not even his gang members who knew most of what there was to know. He was so caught up in his training he didn't hear the soft hesitant steps behind him. Skylar took a breath, being sure not to be too close to William before saying anything, knowing how instincts usually work. “W-William,” her voice cracked slightly.

He spun around in a fighting stance, scanning the area before standing straight, realizing it was just Skylar. “A-are you okay? I um, I heard you mumbling and talking in your sleep, and then you came out here and I didn't know if something was wrong or or and I didn't want to follow you be-because it’s your privacy and and I um I didn't know if you'd want me to but I wanted to make sure you were okay,” she rambled in stutters.

“Oh, um, yeah. I’m fine,” he gave a little smirk hiding his special knife.

Curious as ever, Skylar gestured, “U-um that's a pretty knife,” she said awkwardly.

“Oh… Um… Yeah, thanks, it um… Was my dad’s,” he said.

She nodded unsure of what to say. He’d never told anyone about that night. She didn't want to intrude on his privacy but she was curious. “Wh-what um happened to your dad?” she asked.

She seen something unreadable come over his eyes and started to ramble, “I mean… If you don't mind me asking, you know what, it was a stupid question.  You don't have to answer it. I’m sorry I asked I’ll just go back inside now,” her face got red as she turned to leave.

He wanted to tell her. He really did, but for some odd reason, he didn't want her to fear him. Normally, he wouldn't care if someone was afraid of him. Why he cared now? He couldn't fathom. “Wait… Skylar,” he called to her softly grabbing her arm.

She spun to face him looking into his eyes. He took a breath. “Promise me two things…” his voice trailed off hesitantly.

She nodded. “Don't tell anyone not even them in there,” he nodded his head towards the house, “and please, don't fear me,” he said.

She felt her heart pounding in her chest as she answered, “I promise.”

He looked down for a minute, gaining his composure, “My dad… well, he was a drunk… and he… one night he got really drunk, he always beat my mom when he got drunk. I could never do anything about it, I was just a boy… Well, that night, it got really bad. I was only 10. He ended up beating her worse than normal. She… well he beat her until she died. And even then, he didn't stop,” Skylar watched William's eyes as he expertly pushed any traces of tears away.

“I’m so sorry William… I I didn't know,” she said.

He shook his head with a humorless laugh, “Skylar… That's not the worse part. I… I killed my father that night… Without so much as a weapon… I I killed him with my bare hands.” Skylar gasped and tried to pull her arm out of his grip.

“Skylar please, you promised you wouldn't fear me,” he said, feeling… Hurt for some reason he couldn't think of. “I I I don't… I just… I need time time to to process that,” she said.

She knew she promised but she couldn't help it. Every instinct said to be afraid. “I promise Skylar, I will never hurt you,” he said as his grip loosened.

Skylar thought about these words. She took a deep breath and held out her pinkie, “Pinkie promise,” she demanded.