»» 20 »»

»»Mae

  "You scared me! I seriously thought something bad happened!" I scream at the girls.

  They all sit on the sofa and chairs with mugs of coffee in their hands, their moods calm and inviting. Something going on . . .

  "Sorry, but we needed to get you home." Kaitlyn shrugged.

  "Ugh, what's so important you guys almost had to give me a heart attack?" I flop down on the couch next to Madison, across from Christina and Kaitlyn.

  "Okay Ms. Dramatic, but we wanted to talk, we knew you were out running with Carson." Christina plays off.

  "Yeah, of course y'all did, I told you this morning." I admit, and it's the truth, I don't know why they're pointing this out.

  "Okay, well . . . we were just kind of wondering why you always hang out Carson." Kaitlyn questions.

  I lean over towards the coffee table and grab my own cup of coffee that they were so kind enough to make then hold it between my palms.

  "Uh, I don't know, because he's my friend. I am allowed to hang out with friends you know." I say without bothering to hide my annoyance, these are stupid questions.

  "Well, Mae, we were just wondering . . . " Madison let's her voice trail off when she sees me open my mouth.

  "Guys, get to the point. This isn't some girl sesh you wanted to have, you wanted to talk serious about something and it obviously involves Carson so spit it out or I will leave." I narrow my eyes with a stern look, they can't walk all over me on the question I know they will ponder on. It was the question they always asked me when things fell apart with Carson from the start.

  "Mae, do you still like like Carson?" Madison whispers.

  "No." I utter clean and simple.

  "Are you sure about that?" Christina shows off an evil glare, seeming to notice my fumble.

  "Uh - yeah, why question my feelings?"

  Christians eyes grow wide and my body clentches. She's about to do something. And it won't be good.

  She sets down her mug and stands up, bringing out her phone, and clears her throat with a groggy sound. Then she begins to recite a poem I know by heart - my poem.

  When she is done, all six eyes land on me for an answer. This poem was secret and Christina violated my privacy, this is crossing the line - even for her. This is almost worse than the time we were kids and she did something similar to this to help cause more stress on me on top of the whole Carson mess.

  I swallow my gulp of coffee, letting it burn my tongue and throat. I then feel myself grow icy cold despite the warm feeling in the pit of my stomach.

  "Why on earth did you go through my stuff?! That's supposed to be secret!" I yell.

  "Well, you don't keep secrets from your supposed best friends." Christina bites back.

  I shoot straight up, not bothering to care I'm still three inches shorter than her, "well I have to keep these things private because you go around doing this!"

  "No, Mae, you just lied to us! Saying you don't like Carson is a big, fat, stupid lie! You clearly do because this poem speaks the absolute truth."

  "I said no because you'd go up to Carson and admit all of this on him when he has another girl he loves! I can't do that to him! Yes I had a small piece of hope when they broke up but I don't even know if he feels the same way."

  "News flash?! He's trying to ask her out again! When he read the poem he said he felt the same way. Trying to forget everything that happened with you two but it's hard because it was so great. Then be admitted that he has a new girl in his life, and it's Grace." Christina spits everything out so easily, it makes me question why it is.

  My body shakes violently, something I do when I'm scared. I squeeze my eyes closed, the time at his brothers party, our runs, our talks, I thought he felt the same way again. I truly thought we could have our moment - guess the entire time he was plotting a way to get Grace back.

  "I'm sorry, but I don't want to see you broken again like last time." Christina mumbles.

  "Too late." I say then run into my room to find my phone.

  I open up to Carson's name and begin to type, knowing that what I text he will not reply to. I don't expect him to, and I certainly don't want him to.

Mae : I really hope asking out
           Grace goes well

  And send. Damage done.

»» okay, so this was not the longest chapter in the history of chapters but I hope you still like it, love you guys!!! <333