»» 24 »»

»» Mae

I press the phone closer to my ear and close my tired eyes as I listen to my younger sister.

"So now I'm grounded for a week which isn't too bad." Sabrina states carelessly.

"Yup, not a problem at all." I sarcastically laugh.

She giggles on the other end, "see, this is where we are polar opposites."

I nod my head even though she can't see me, this is true. When I was in school, getting in trouble was the last thing I wanted to happened, but for Sabrina, my rebellious fourteen year old sister, doesn't care too much about it. If she gets called on for talking, she'll shrug it off, now don't get me wrong, she doesn't want to be put into jail and named troubled child of the year (if that's even a thing) but she does have some sass to that mouth of hers.

"So exactly how are you talking to me now if you're grounded?" I question her. I snuggle deeper into my covers on my bed, feeling the soft comforter warm me.

"I begged mom to call you because she understood we haven't talked in awhile so yeah." She explains.

"Ahh, well good job." I sleepily say.

"You okay? You seem a bit down."

"Oh, yeah, I'm fine Sabrina, just dealing with some issues overt here."

"You mean Carson?"

"How'd you guess?"

"I know things, plus Haden has told me cause you told him a thing or two." Sabrina smugly says.

"That's the last time I tell our loud mouth brother anything." I tease.

"Whatever, you going to be okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be okay."

"Okay. . . " Sabrina says, unsure of my answer.

"Don't worry about me, I'll be fine." I reassure her.

"Alright, alright. Fine. The media says you're coming back with with a new book, is it true?" Sabrina quickly changes the subject, giving me a sigh of relief.

"Well, kind of. I have to give my plot to my editor by . . . oh gosh! Tomorrow!"

"Tomorrow? That's pretty soon." Sabrina utters.

"I was given three months."

"Never mind."

"Funny." I say.

"What's it about?"

"That's the thing, I don't know, I have to write a romance novel and I'm not exactly on point with that genre." I explain shyly.

"I see. But make sure you keep it PG so I can read it." She plays.

I laugh, "that was my plan baby sis."

She chuckles softly then I hear murmuring in the background, "I gotta go now, mom says so, sorry, bye Mae."

"Its okay! I understand, bye sis! Love you!"

"Love you too!" She chirps and then the line goes dead.

Slowly, I drop my phone onto my sheets and face plant myself into my pillows. I have to get a rough draft in by tomorrow! How in the world am I going to be able to do that?!

» » »

"So you aren't going to the airport tomorrow?" Kaitlyn asks, scooping salad in her bowl.

"Um, let me think about it, no." I state rather harsh.

"Sheesh, what's gotten you in a bad mood?" Christina sourly says.

"I still don't have a rough draft of my love story and my editor expects something by tomorrow!" I sigh stressfully.

"Ohhh, well I'm sure you'll get it done in time." Kaitlyn encourages.

"I don't know, I'm having a pretty rough time figuring things out."

Madison sits down next to me and stirs her fork in her own bowl, "I'm positive you'll get everything finished, you always do."

"Just take a breath and then look around for inspiration." Christina says.

"Thanks girls." I smile and then finish my food with the slightest bit of happiness because I have great friends who support me in my career.