Chapter Ten: Something Missing

The autumn sun was just starting to peek through Magnolia's cloudy skies. Bright rays of light shone down on the city that was starting to come alive. The rays beaming down on the city went to work as they on specific sections of the town in hopes awakening the sleeping residents. A specific ray of light shone through the windows of Fairy Heights awakening the mages that resided inside.

While other parts of the holy lights were placed upon the petals, that illuminated the hundreds of beads of water, each one a perfect sphere, placed delicately on the autumn leaves. All the shadows that were once casted in Magnolia had dissipated; giving forth a new day for the waking guild.

By now the early morning sun was already well risen and the autumn grass shone like it had its own gentle glow from within. As the sun rose outside, the mages that once were sleeping, were already starting a ruckus within the walls of the acclaimed Fairy Tail guild hall. The building was littered with bashful mages, some drinking, some reading, and some already causing fights. But that was to be expected in the early mornings of the guild hall. It was never out of the ordinary for them. Cana would be drinking her beer in the corner, Mirajane serving her fellow guildmates, and Levy was reading a book while a certain iron dragon watched from a distant. Nothing seemed out of place for the fairies.

But something was off, one small detail that was held in the back of every members mind. Cana assumed that her beer was just a little stale. Mirajane wondered if her hair was out place. Even Natsu and Gray questioned whether their fight was conventional or not. But what was it? Was a light fixture broken making one side of the guild hall darker? Or was Elfman not being manly enough? Could it be that Juvia was not stalking her favorite ice mage? No, it couldn't of been any of those things. The guild was perfectly lit thanks to Laxus maintaining the electrical problems; Elfman had given his usual spiel to Evergreen about manliness while arm-wrestling with Erza, like a man; and Juvia could be spotted behind a potted plant watching Gray unconsciously strip during his usual fight with Natsu.

Unbeknownst to them their blonde comrade had been touring a new city with her temporary guildmates, going on missions with them, and by now laying unconscious in her bed having the strangest of dreams. It had never crossed their minds as they were occupied with their lives. "Shrimp, where is bunny girl at?"

The script mage tore her eyes from the book to look at the boy who had relocated from the area across the room to a seat in front of her. The script mage was slightly baffled by his unexpected observation. She scanned the room and saw no sign of the blonde mage that either would be stationed by the bar with Mira and Erza or sitting at a booth with Team Natsu. How could she have missed that fact that her best friend was not here. "Now that you mention it Gajeel, I don't think I have seen Lucy for a week or so."

She bit the inside of her lip, thinking about the last time she saw the celestial mage. It couldn't have been recent because she was out on a mission with Team Shadow Gear. After some heavy thinking, she remembered seeing her last after the Sabertooth's exceed was missing. The next thought that passed her mind was why the black haired mage cared. "Why do you care, Gajeel."

He seemed caught off guard by that question. He hasn't really thought about it that much, he just felt like something was off in the guild. He just shrugged off her question. "I don't know something seemed off." Gajeel would never admit it but, even though he had a rocky beginning with the blonde girl; she was still his comrade and he secretly cared.

The script mage nodded her head in agreement and stood from her chair ready to interrogate her fellow guild mates for information. "Let's go ask around, Gajeel." The iron dragon slayer stood from the chair opposite of her; following her towards the requip and transformation mage at the bar. They were busy talking amongst themselves, when the duo approached them.