Chapter Two (First draft-Unedited)

Amaris' POV

I awoke to a pounding headache and the smell of sterilizing products.  Rubbing my eyes, feeling groggy,  I look around to assess my surroundings.  Hmmm. "I'm in the hospital" I mutter to myself.  Then it occurred to me... Ryan! I pressed my call button and a moment later my aide came in. I asked her about Ryan, if he was okay and if I could see him. "I'm sorry ma'am but I'm not allowed to discuss another patient's information with anyone unless they have signed consent to do so," she responds lightly. "Oh okay, of course.  I'm sorry," I reply, feeling foolish.  I should have known that already being as I'm a nurse myself.  I am just worried about him.  He is my best friend here. As I lie in the bed, jumping around my thoughts, I felt myself slip back into a slumber.

Charlie's POV (Amaris' father)

"Honey, do you know why this number would be trying to call both of our cell phones at this time of night?  And not leave a voicemail?" Cecilia asked while sitting in the office at the Sorrentino's nightclub 'Obsidian' with myself, the owners, and their adult children, discussing all linked Sorrentino businesses in town.

I glance at the breast pocket of my suit containing my phone. "No, I'm sorry, I haven't even noticed my phone ringing dear," I tell her.

"What's the number? I'll track it." Dominic Sorrentino, one of the head boss' twin sons volunteered.

"619-555-4986" Cecilia informed him.
He began typing on his laptop while the rest of us continued discussing business.

The loud banging of the office door as it flew wide open was enough to bring all of the men in the room to their feet with their guns drawn out and ready, but they all settled back in when Luca's familiar face was the responsible party for such ruckus.

"Luca, did you have to be so damn forceful?" I scolded my son while my wife had a disapproving look on her face that vanished quickly and turned to a look of alarm.

"Luca, sweetie, what's wrong? The look on your face is worrying me!" Cecilia frantically asked our son. "T-T-This number kept calling me and they never left a message and I finally answered it.... a-a-and it's a hospital in San Diego, mama." Luca announced with fear and hurt pulling at his words as he dropped to his knees and put his head into his hands.

"Yes, it's showing a hospital in San Diego." Dominic stated. "Why exactly would a hospital be calling the three of you from San Diego?" Questioned Damon Sorrentino, the twin of Dominic. "Just hold on guys." I grumbled.

I was knelt down next to my weeping son at this point trying to both comfort him and question him at the same time. San Diego means one thing. Amaris. Our sweet girl that we got out of here as fast as we could when we got involved with the Sorrentinos in hopes to keep her safe seeing as Luca was drawn right into it along with his mother and myself. "Luca, you have to tell me what this is about. What is going on? I know San Diego means one thing and one thing only. By the way you're acting, I have a very bad feeling this is news that is going to destroy me, but you MUST tell me. Now." I firmly tell my son. I help Luca stand up and guide him to a chair at the table where we all were discussing business, and he composed himself quickly and began to talk.

Resulting in my heart breaking for my sweet daughter. My baby.

"Amaris is in the hospital in the ICU due to a truck deliberately running into her and her friend on a four wheeler in the middle of a field late in the evening. Her friends that witnessed it gave full reports and said the truck drove off the highway and followed Amaris and her friend Ryan -owns the four wheeler- and sped up to ram into the back of the ATV. The impact launched the ATV into the air somewhat with both of them on it and caused them to flip a couple of times before landing several feet from the point of impact. Neither one was wearing a helmet." Luca's shaky voice delivered the terrible message about Amaris. Cecilia began crying and sought comfort from Luca and myself.

I will kill the bastard that is responsible for this.

"Armando," I started hesitantly, unsure of how he will handle my dishonesty once he learns who Amaris is and hiding the fact I have additional immediate family, "My wife and I are going to need some time off. We need to go to San Diego as soon as the next available flight.  Luca will stay here and help pull extra time to cover for us. Is this okay?" I finished more confidently than I began.

"That's not a problem at all Charlie, and Luca doesn't need to pull in extra shifts. We all help each other out when necessary and I can see that there's something important in San Diego you must attend to.  Get your flights booked and we can get you to the airport right away."

"Thank you, sir, I appreciate this so much."

"Who exactly is Amaris?" Miranda Sorrentino asked. Ah, of course the youngest Sorrentino would be curious.

"Well, Miranda, you see.. Amaris is...." I nervously trail off in fear of letting them know anything more about our daughter. I do not want her sucked up into this Italian mafia's family lifestyle at all. We already got our son involved just by his existence being known, I can't have this happen to her too.

But I also can't leave her in San Diego where someone is trying to kill her for some reason...

"Amaris is our daughter; Luca's sister." I boldly stated. Gasps were the only audible sound in the entire room while some mouths were gaping at me and all eyes widely fixed upon me.... the exact response I wanted to avoid but knew it was inevitable now.