Chapter Ten (First draft-Unedited)

Amaris' POV

"What the fuck dad? What more do you possibly need to discuss with me?" I snarled.  I really don't appreciate everyone being so pushy and I'm about to snap.

He frowned down at me.  "Amaris, we are not the enemy here. You need to learn to control yourself. Whether you like it or not, you now know about our affiliation with the Sorrentino clan and you will respect them. If they ask a favor of you, you will obey. They are not demanding you work for them as they know you have a career in nursing already established. However; everything we've discussed and will discuss pertaining to business, you will keep confidential, am I clear?" My father glared, a muscle twitching along his jaw.

I know he is serious.  Whether this is to protect me or just make me fall in line and submit, I'm becoming increasingly agitated.  Perhaps I should behave for a while.  It'll throw them off my ass and give me breathing room at least.  And then nobody will expect it when I have my freak out on everyone.

I glance around quickly at the Sorrentino family as well as my family, all in this limo with me, and allow my shoulders to visibly droop in defeat. There's no fighting this. At least not right now.

"Fine, whatever you say dad. Are we done now?" I say through clenched teeth.

"Atta girl, but here's some documents for you. Everything you need to fill out to get your New Jersey RN license, our contact information for our lawyer so you can get your divorce, and also a contact number for the Westfield pools and spas. It's a temporary job for you to pass some time until your RN license comes in." My father hands me a thick manila envelope.

I thumb the edge of the envelope a few times.  "Um, thanks, I guess. Since you're already on top of everything in my life thus far, can you get this fucking wedding set off my finger then?" I ask as I hold up my left hand, showing the magnificent wedding set that is stuck on my ring finger. Soap will not loosen it up and the string trick is a complete failure.

"Oh my god, that wedding set is absolutely gorgeous!" Maria Sorrentino shrieked as she snatched my left hand into hers to admire it.  Why can't people keep their hands off of me?

I snort.  "Yeah it is, but it is of no meaning to me. I just want the damn things off." I say as I softly pull my hand out of her grasp. At least she knows how to be gentle, unlike those sexy monsters she calls her brothers.

"I'm pretty sure we can find a way to get those off your finger honey." My dad reassured me while glancing at my finger for a moment.

The remainder of the drive was silent. I found myself nodding off against my brother's shoulder as the smooth glide of the limo pulled me into a slumber.

Luca gently woke me up by saying my name with some soft shakes. I giggle as I see I drooled on his shoulder some. Ew.

I notice we are back at Obsidian and I start to head in the direction of my car but I'm stopped by a gentle hand grabbing me.  I turn around and look into the beautiful face of Miranda.

She smiled sheepishly at me.  "I'm sorry everything is how it is. I'm not too fond of my family's business lifestyle either. I get in trouble a lot for defying my father. Here's my number, we should get to know each other. I already have your number. Luca gave it to me." She winked at me as she walked away.

She's kind.  Maybe she and I can become good friends.  I know it wouldn't be a bad idea to befriend someone on the inside.  It definitely would benefit me to know things that would probably be withheld from me otherwise, if the past serves my memory right.  I internally scoff at the web of secrets and lies my family has spun.