Chapter 5

Ethelia's pov

I stopped at the foot of the large string of stairs when we came to it, looking up at the Hokage's building. It was huge, looking over the village. I turned to look at Minato, not saying a word. He sighed at me, shaking his head in slight amusement. I shrugged, looking back to the red building. I've never been this close to it before, even if it is several flights of long stairs away.

"Alright, come over here." The blonde beckoned. I sighed heavily, wondering why he couldn't just walk a few feet over to me instead. But I still shuffled over to him, bored. Man... I really am lazy. But that isn't really the point. This is a nerve-racking experience. I'm aloud to not wanna move.

Minato bent down. "One, two-" He tried to hoist me up a bit too hard, as though he though I'd weight more. He ended up throwing me entirely. My eyes widened in surprise, but I didn't scream. I can't believe the guy just threw me. Isn't he a ninja? 

"Whoa." I heard Rin and Obito chorus. I looked to see why, and then realized I wasn't falling. I looked down. I was only three feet or so above Minato, floating in the air. That doesn't change the fact that the slightest change in emotion could send me hurtling straight into the sun. Ugh, why me?

"Oops." Minato muttered, reaching up and pulling me into his arms bridal style. I blinked up at him lazily. My body doesn't... it's not really in his arms. He's more holding me in place, like holding a helium balloon so it won't float away. They should tie a rope around my ankle and lead me around. That would work.

"You weight nearly nothing at all." Minato explained why the hell he'd thrown me. I didn't say anything, I just nodded slowly before moving my gaze to the sky. I could feel the other three staring at me, and I could feel Minato lightly lifting me to try and guess my exact weight. I didn't care. I don't care about anything anymore, I guess. 

We started up the stairs, and I tried to get myself to relax. It was hard. We were going to see the leader of this village. The Hokage. He's practically a king! A powerful man who makes very important decisions for our home, and who's in charge of a large legion of ninja. Like Minato. He's also the sensei to the three sannin, three powerful individuals who are written about in almost every history text book around.

"So, how long have you been able to fly?" Obito asked giddily, walking backwards up the stairs so he could look at me. "Yeah, and have you told anyone?" Rin joined Obito in walking backwards. I envy their skill. I would've tripped and broken a hip trying to walk backwards, let along up these stairs. Even just going up stairs normally without stumbling is a feat for me.

"One day I tripped and didn't hit the ground. I then realized that I didn't hit the ground and proceeded to fall on my face. That was a while back I guess. And no, nobody knows I can fly except for an entire classroom of gossiping kids, a grumpy teacher and you four." That's the most I've ever willingly said in my entire life. And sarcastic comments or insults don't count. I was forced into those.

"Oh... yeah." Obito sweat dropped, and Kakashi scoffed. I sighed, moving my eyes to look at the masked boy. He was staring at me. I raised an eyebrow, earning a glare in response. I narrowed my eyes back at him. Rude little ninja. He's so cocky! Can you fly and blow shit up when you get too upset? Yeah, I didn't think so.

"Rude." I said simply, turning to look back at the sky. I heard him scoff again, but he didn't say anything. Obito snickered at him, and Rin let out a giggle. I saw Minato smiling at them in a fond manner. Perhaps he thinks of them as family. I imagine becoming their sensei was like adopting them in a way. I wouldn't really know, I guess. I have my dad, but it's not like we spend buckets of time together or anything.

"Cut it out you three." Minato said to them, shaking his head like a disapproving parents. I didn't notice, but we had made it all the way up the stairs. I would still be like, eight steps from the bottom or so. I'm hella slow on stairs. They're just so taxing, and I'm just so lazy. I don't know how they do it everyday. I guess they are ninja though.

"Fast." I muttered as Minato set me down. I've never been so close to a building this large. It was much more intimidating up close, and I felt my stomach sink before becoming buckets lighter. I shifted my weight around, doing everything I could to stay grounded. I guess it's too late to back out... I should just face it.

"Well, come on then!" Minato chirped, opening the doors for us. I was hit by a wave of cold air as I stepped in. I shivered. That doesn't help my nerves. Who's in charge of the AC here? Why does nobody look like an ice cube? Everyone looks totally unfazed... ugh, I'm so out of place! I hope nobody stares. 

I felt myself begin to fidget, feeling lighter by the second. This isn't good, not at all. "Don't worry." I jumped in surprise as Rin placed a hand on my shoulder. My face twisted. Ew, physical contact. Is this supposed to be comforting? It isn't. Humans should work on their friendship-tactics. Rin grinned, "Lord Hokage is really nice!" 

This did absolutely nothing to soothe my nerves. In fact, I think she made it worse. I focused on staying grounded, keeping my gaze on the floor. It kinda worked in keeping me semi-calm and semi-grounded. Ish. I don't know, I don't know anything! I don't wanna be here. Then again I'm me. My idea of a night out is going in the backyard for like, ten minutes.

Minato led us towards yet another staircase. Fun. Obito and Rin were being hella loud, louder than what should be humanly possible for only two people. Kakashi was being his quiet, broody, you-can-tell-I'm-an-asshole-just-by-looking-at-me self. It was surprisingly calming. Instead of focusing on the fact that I was in a cold building full of ninja while wearing my Monday-wear, I could focus on mentally judging him and hating his attitude. I guess he is useful for something.

We silently trudged up the stairs. Well, at least Kakashi, Minato and I were all quiet. Obito and Rin, who were getting dirty looks from everyone, couldn't get the memo. And because they were getting dirty looks, I was getting them too. And people kept zeroing in on my sweat pants. Like there was something wrong with them! There clearly isn't. Ninjas. Judgmental assholes.

The Hokage building was just like any other old office building. It was drafty, there were a few guards moseying about, and long halls full of doors. Occasionally someone would bustle past us with purpose, or a stack of papers taller than themselves. Or a broom. It varied, but the higher we got, the less people we saw. It would've been calming if I didn't know I was about to face the leader and main protector of this huge-ass village.

"Almost there." Minato smiled reassuringly at me, and I felt gravity begin to thin around me all over again. So much for calming down. Rin and Obito had gone silent about halfway down the hall, which if nothing else, was extremely unsettling. They're acting like this Hokage-dude is going to smite us if we dare annoy or disrupt him in any way! 

Minato came to a very abrupt stop in front of a door, which of course caused my poor soul to slam into the person in front of me. Of course it was Kakashi, and of course he felt like a goddamn brick wall. And the glare he turned and gave me too! And that sneer too. He's so cocky, and arrogant, and a little shithead too. Man, I shouldn't be this fired up. Must be the nerves.

Knocking on the door, Minato shifted his weight to one leg. There was a silence that only lasted a second, a second that wasn't nearly long enough. "Enter!" The voice was deep, booming and terrifying. My nerves skyrocketed, and I pushed myself down using the wall. Obito sent me a thumbs up, and Rin smiled. Kakashi snorted at me, and I don't actually blame him. I'm totally pathetic at the moment.

Minato pushed open the door.