Chapter 26

Your comments make my day agxjananndjsnnzjqo

Ehtelia's pov

I almost didn't realize we'd gotten to my house. Obito had to call my name a few times for me to realize and detach myself from him. I feel bad for clinging to him like some annoying ass hoe, but my heart is still racing from the chase I'd been caught in earlier. 

"Ew, sorry. I'm being disgusting." I cringed at myself, letting go of his arm. He simply grinned down at me as though it were no big deal. He just saved my bacon, and he's chill about it too. Meanwhile, I'm over here legits about to blow up and shit, and I was holding his arm like it was my lifeline. If that is not some nasty behavior on my part, I'm not sure what is.

"No, it's okay! If it were me, I'd be the same way. You were just chased and stuff, so it's okay. You can cling to me anytime you want." He grinned cheekily. I stared up at him with a rather blank look. I don't know how to socialize or how to have friends. I should have told him I'd be his friend temporarily. That way there's no commitment.

"Er... thanks, I think." I literally owe Obito my life. Like legitimately, I'd be in a ditch with my head sawed off right now if not for him. 

"I'll save you anytime! You can count on me!" He thrust his thumb into his chest pridefully, his eyes gleaming. I hummed vaguely, slowly reaching out for my doorknob. He just grinned down at me widely. Huh, he's too positive too. I need to find a way to dampen his life to avoid him becoming creepy like Minato is.

"Well, I'm gonna go in... did you need anything or... uh..." Friends. Ugh, I can't even close the door in his face anymore. What have I gotten myself into now? I should have just let those men murder my sorry ass. I'm not going anywhere in life anyway. I'm not productive and I'm a huge threat to the village anyway. 

"A hug?" He winked. "Maybe a kiss goodnight?"

"Oh, why don't you come sleep in my bed while you're at it." I scoffed sarcastically, turning my doorknob. It was unlocked. It always is if I'm not home before dad. "Goodnight, Obito. Thanks for not letting me die and... stuff." How do you show gratitude? I've said thank you at least three times. Am I supposed to bake him a cake to seal the deal? I don't know; I've never done this before.

"Night, Ethelia! And really, it's nothing. I'll always save you." He waved over his shoulder. Good, he's not going to stand and wait for me to close the door. That's always awkward. "But you're never walking home late again! Not alone!" He called.

"Not without pepper spray and a knife I'm not." I muttered to myself, giving Obito one last wave before I closed my door. Thank God that's over. I feel so emotionally drained I think I could pass out right here in the entryway. That was horrifying. Not just the chasing part, but the Obito part too. I willingly touched him, which was gross, and called us friends? I need to seek some medical help, something's not right here.

But first, sleep.

And food-

~

"Yo, Ethelia. Wake the fuck up, you pig."

I groaned loudly. Just what I want to wake up to after a night of traumatizing events including almost getting murdered, calling someone a friend and hugging an arm. "Mark, we talked about this. You can't break into my house whenever you feel like it. Your bathroom works." I grumbled, squinting as the light in my room flickered on.

"I'm not here for you bathroom. I'm here to raid your fridge." He tutted. "And fix whatever the fuck that is." He gestured to me.

"Mark, I don't have the ability to fix my face. That's just how it is." I pushed myself up, groaning. I'm too young for this. But I'm also glad I'm not in school anymore. Knowing how Ryuki is makes me wonder about the other kids, and how that mandatory academic hell has shaped them and their sorry minds.

"Your hair, dumbass. Look in a mirror." Mark scoffed, rolling his eyes at me. I blinked away the blurriness in my eyes, paling at the hairbrush in his hand. I brought my hand up to my hair. I hadn't taken it out of it's bun, and now it was some weird tangled ball on top of my head. Huh. Wonderful. That's just what I was going for.

"I already cut the hairtie out. It's just like that." Mark said when I began to search for it. I paled slightly. Oh, great, now my hair is just like this. I should honestly just chop it all off, but my dad likes it longer. Mostly because he gets to laugh at me when he sees how bad it looks in the mornings, but also because he gets to coo over how fucking ridiculous I look after I shower and it starts to curl.

"Give me the scissors. I'll fix the problem." I scooted to the edge of the bed, swinging my legs over the edge. He shook his head.

"I knew you'd say some fuck shit like that. That's why I threw them out the window." He held up the hairbrush threateningly. "Now it's time to do hair."

"You're such a girl."

~

My dad paused when I walked into the kitchen, and I can't say I blame him. Mark may be an asshole, but he can sure as hell fix someone's fucked up hair in record time. Not only that, but he barely had to touch me to do it. Just my hair. It hurt like a bitch but now, for the first time in what's probably been at least eight months, it's combed out and looks nice.

"Your hair is braided." He said, his mouth full of eggs. I nodded silently. Mark said the only reason he'd come over was to raid of fridge, to which I said no, and to try out something called a side braid. Apparently it's just a braid that goes over your shoulder. I couldn't give two shits. At least now I have a chance to, you know, not let my hair get tangled for about a week before I give up again and just let it do whatever.

"It looks good." My dad complimented. "Want food?"

"Yes." I grumbled, wiping the sleep dust from my eyes. I was wearing leggings today because they're comfortable and because they're the only thing that smelled clean. And then I'm wearing just a shirt. It's a guys shirt because that's about the only kind of shirt I'll wear. All my hoodies smell like dirt and sweat, a sign I need to do laundry. Desperately. Like seriously, I feel so exposed right now.

"You were late last night. Did you finally make friends?" My dad asked. I thought about Obito. I know I said he was a good friend, but I didn't say he was a good friend to me. Just like, in general he's a good friend. That doesn't technically make us friends, right? I don't know. I'll have to ponder on it more to find some loopholes to get out of it.

"No, I was just chased by a group of men who were probably pedophiles so this boy named Obito who saved me walked me home." I said simply. He nodded in an understanding sort of way. I nodded back, shoving some eggs in my face hole. 

"Ah, so that's who was talking to you on the front porch the other day. Have you seen his bone structure? He's going to grow up to be a real looker one day. Probably rich too, being a ninja and all." My dad mimed holding a fishing pole. "Just hook like and sinker. You've got this one in the bag, hun."

"Very funny dad." I snorted, shaking my head slightly as he began to laugh.

"Oh, hey Mark." He suddenly said. "You here to raid the fridge again?" He asked as the boy I'd pushed out the window entered. I groaned slightly.

"You know it, Mr. Syoko." Mark gave a two finger salute that made me groan even louder. I wish he would move away already. I would just start locking my window, but I know he's still find a way in. He has those weird golden hand things. They freaked me out, but they were useful for unlocking shit. He just had one pop up inside my room and unlatch the window.

"Have fun with that then, son." My dad nodded. I sighed. 

"I will, Mr. Syoko. Thank you." Mark said as he opened the fridge. I sighed again.

Even I don't understand what my life is anymore.