Chapter 20

Ethelia's pov

"I'm surrounded by idiots." I decided, deadpanning down at the unconscious Uchiha as Rin worked to heal his stomach. This shit never happens to civilians. Someone gets punched, they get a black eye. They don't fall to the ground, ready to keel over. I just really can't believe Kakashi's punch was that... that powerful, I guess. It must be because of all that chakra-y stuff.

"He'll be okay." Rin reported, giving Kakashi a pointed look. The prick simply clicked his tongue and looked away. "He's got a cracked rib though, and some pretty bad bruising. I'm surprised he didn't pass out from the pain sooner."

"Damn, me too. I get a paper cut and I'm already preparing myself for the sweet release of death." I said, plopping down on the grass. My legs ached from running, and I probably smelled worse than the stick up Kakashi's ass, which is saying something. My hair was a literal mess, but I didn't much care about that either. I simply stared at Obito boredly, waiting for him to wake up.

"Kakashi, come with me please. We need to have a chat." Minato sounded cheerful even as he said this, and that made the Hatake pale slightly. Good to know he's scared of at least something. Maybe I can use the childish "I'll tell sensei" threat on him. It'd probably work, too.

"Isn't he dreamy?" Rin's airy voice cut in, and I turned to her with a confused look. She was staring at Kakashi, which made me recoil considerably. Yeah, okay, you know what vomit is? Yeah, that's in my mouth now, and it's absolutely disgusting, just like Rin's crush on Kakashi is. He is by far the rudest child I have ever met, and I'm me, and I live next to Mark.

"Not the word I'd use." I cringed. "What about Obito? He has a crush on you, and he's a hell of a lot better than Mr. Punch-Your-Gut over there." I jerked my thumb in the direction Kakashi was. The boy looked like a dejected puppy as Minato firmly talked to him, gesturing towards where we sat and shaking his head, as though disappointed.

"Obito's a good friend, but I could never think of him like that. He's sort of an idiot, and he's not a very good ninja either. You can have him." Rin's words made my jaw drop, and I sputtered. I heard Obito suck in a sharp breath of air that made my heart drop.

Looking down at him, sure enough his eyes were open, and teary too. My heart plummeted further as he leapt to his feet, starting Rin. Her eyes widened. "O-Obito, you're awake. H...How much of that did you-"

"All of it." He turned around, a smile more fake than my fabricated will to live plastered on his face. "But it's fine! I get... I get it. I'm gonna go."

He ran off before anyone could say anything, and I turned to give Rin the dryest look I could muster. Her eyes were wide, and her cheeks had turned apple red with embarrassment. "You know, he's actually a pretty funny guy, and that's coming from me. I hate nearly everyone, so the small amount I like slightly more than I like everyone else is pretty small. He loved you, and he actually cared. Unlike Sir Dickface getting a lecture over there." I stood up. "I'll be back. Tell sensei I ran off to fix your mistake. You're welcome."

And with that, I got to my feet and trudged off in the direction Obito had gone.

~

"This bitch is nowhere." I had spent at least twenty minutes looking for Obito, but he'd pulled a ninja on me and disappeared. He was probably at his house, I was guessing. I just wasn't sure where that was, which meant I'd have to make social contact to figure it out. I hate talking to people, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. Obito is probably going to turn out to be gay anyway, so he'll look back on this and simply laugh. That's why I'm not too sure why I'm doing this.

"Excuse me." This woman could be an Uchiha. I don't really know. "Do you know where Obito Uchiha's house is?"

The woman I had stopped stared at me blankly for a moment, her eyebrows furrowed with thought. I considered turning and running. It would be a good escape. If I were really skilled, which I'm not, I'd fly off into the distance all dramatic like. Then it wouldn't look so much like I was running away from a social situation I got myself into because I'm a damn anxious, awkward pansy who doesn't like talking to anyone.

"Oh! Obito Uchiha. He lives in the apartment buildings around the corner. I think he's in room 9, but I'm not sure." The woman gave me a polite smile and a shrug. I nodded slightly, offering the tightest of smiles, because I do not social. "Thank you!" I gave and awkward thumbs up and fucking booked it, because there is no damn way on this Earth I'm going to suffer for an idiot like Obito any longer. This boy is going to owe me some legit food after all this.