Chapter 43

Ethelia's pov

I spent the whole day with Obito. All of it. I really wasn't expecting to, but the day flew by in a flurry of food, me complaining, and Obito complimenting my appearance. I'm not exactly sure why he keeps trying to convince me I'm less trashy than I actually am, but it's not working. I got myself stuck with one hell of an ugly face, and that's that. 

Being around Obito is weird. I know he's a dedicated ninja who likes to train, but he never suggests we go back to Minato, Rin, and Kakashi. It's like he's waiting for me to decide for myself whether or not I want to go back. I can respect that. I could even say that, to an extent, I appreciate it. But sometimes I wish he'd drag me back to the training grounds and tell me not to be such a damn pansy.

"Would you ever date someone like me?" Obito asked. He's been asking me questions like this, spontaneously, throughout the whole day. I thought he'd be more confident in his crush. I mean, he was with Rin. He made zero attempts to hide his feelings for her. Then again, maybe her mini-rant about him not being that great had dropped his self-esteem. It would drop mine. If I actually had a self-esteem, that is. I wonder if I should tell him not to ask anymore. I bet he's only hashing these questions out to me because I knows I'll answer.

"Why're you asking me?" I complained. "And why're you following me?"

"I'm walking you home! What if you get mugged again?" He made a valid point, I will admit. But I feel ready to blow Ryuki up if he tries to approach me again. All I need to do is put as little chakra as possible in my fist and punch him, right? In theory that wouldn't be as bad as coating my entire foot, but who knows. Maybe testing it wouldn't be such a good idea.

"Fine, fine." I sighed, glancing up at him. Would I date Obito? I don't know; I've never really thought about dating anyone before. I guess we're sort of getting to that age. Ish. We're a little young, but by ninja standards, I'm pretty sure this is the normal age. Ninja's tend to have shorter life spans than people who, you know, don't throw themselves in the face of danger. Obito is even paying his own rent, and I'm pretty sure Kakashi is too. 

Looking at him, he is cute. Not to mention he feeds me. As in he uses his cash dollars to buy me food. That makes him borderline husband material, but his tendency to annoy me kind of cancels it out. But I don't feel... uncomfortable around him, which is weird. I don't hate his company and I sort of... enjoy hanging out with him?

God, I'm disgusting! What's happening to me?!

"Yeah, I'd date someone like you." I decided. This guy needs a little hope in his life. Obito lit up like a Christmas tree. I felt a little sad for some reason, but I brushed it off. I'm probably just revolted by his overall joy and enthusiasm. That's what makes the most sense in my muddled mind, anyway. Hopefully Obito can be happy with his lady love, whoever it is. 

"Awesome." Obito grinned at me.

The guy wanted to check my house, but I threatened to kick him in the balls if he tried. The last thing I needed was him barging into my home and trashing the place. The idiot thought Ryuki might be hiding under my porch for god's sake. I am fully convinced he never graduated kindergarten at this point. 

"Why are you staring at me like that?" I asked, eyes narrowing. I had one hand on the doorknob, and the other was shoved in my hoodie pocket.

"That's a very good question." He evaded. "See you tomorrow, Ethelia!"

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever." I grumbled, entering my house. All the lights were off, and I kicked off my shoes, glancing around. Faintly, I heard the clink of glass in the dining room. My heart dropped when I realized just what that sound probably meant. Hesitantly, I shuffled towards the kitchen, gnawing on my bottom lip.

"He's been like this since I got here." I jumped slightly, whirling around to see Mark. He nodded to my father, who was pouring himself another beer with shaking hands. He didn't acknowledge us. I'm not even sure he noticed we were there. I looked away. He hasn't taken a drink since the day I was born...

"He found out." I said with a sigh, massaging my temples. "That damn kid from my class came and just..."

"You don't want to be around him right now, Ethelia. Dad's aren't pretty when they're drunk. Especially if their kid isn't on the path they want them to be on." Mark said. He was being oddly nice, which scared me a little. It made me wonder just what my dad had said to him in his drunken stupor.

"Are you on the wrong path, then?" I asked as Mark ushered my up the stairs. He eyed my dad like he was a bomb ready to explode, which was ironic in and of itself. I let him, feeling far too sad to complain. I did this to my dad. I should have just... told him before making a decision. We should have decided this together.

"According to my dad, I am." Mark said. "I was supposed to get married to some brat. I didn't. End of story."

"You? In an arranged marriage?" I snorted, eyeing him up and down. He gave my a dry look in return, opening my bedroom door and shoving me inside. I stumbled a little, glaring at him. "Who'd want to marry your ugly mug?"

"Nobody." Mark scoffed. "He wanted to marry Alice. Not Mark."

I froze, turning to look at him, but he was already gone. I could only stare at the spot he'd been standing, gaping. I've never really known much about Mark, or why his father hates him so much. But it's apparent now, and I can see that. His oddly feminine obsession with hair makes a whole lot of sense, and his ability to braid despite having short hair himself.

He wasn't born a boy.

~

Yeah sorry, that information about Mark was a little random, but I had to shove it in this story sometime. Get 'er done. 

AH WE'RE BUILDING UP TO AN OTHELIA KISS Y'ALL UGH I'M SO READY