Chapter 12

Steve

     I look in shock at what I see. Bucky, the man who was there for me, when no one else was. The man who would punch anyone if they were messing with me. The man who would take me to the baseball games. Now he's the man who choked, stabbed, shot, and killed. Bucky stared at me for what felt like an eternity, until Winky broke the silence.
"Well, it looks like this is none of my business so I'm gonna–"
"Stay" I order. Winky nods, knowing full well she's a part of this too.
"You're Steve?" Says Bucky. It feels like I haven't heard his voice in forever, but it's really only been a year.
"Yeah, uh, I–I am" I'm trying my absolute best to hold back tears. "You were I injured, you alright?" Bucky nods.
"Your friend helped. She...she's very nice" probably his attempt to compliment Winky, trying to be human. I turn to Winky, whose smiling proudly. I turn back to Bucky and walk over to one of the chairs on the island, and sat with him.
"This seems like a bromance moment so–" Winky starts.
"Stay" both Bucky and I say. She sighs and stands across from us at the island. We both know we need the full story from Winky as well.
"How did you end up in Winky's room?" I ask.
"I was walking down the hall, then I heard someone coming and ran into the first room that was open" Bucky explains.
"Then I stitched him back up" Winky adds "I'm sorry I didn't tell you right away, I really am"
"It's ok" I say. "I'm just glad you're alright" I say to Bucky.
"Can I go now?" Says Winky. I smile a bit.
"Yeah go head" I say. She leaves the kitchen, leaving only Bucky and I.
"You sure you're alright?" I ask, concerned. I notice he has a sickish pale and didn't eat much.
"I'm fine" he answers. Of course he will say that, he did that even before HYDRA. I sigh, knowing that's all he's gonna tell me about his injuries.
"Why did you leave, Bucky?" I say. He pauses, maybe thinking of an answer.
"I was only going to make things worse"
"No, you weren't. Tony–"

"Thinks I'm a criminal. He's right"

"No you're not"

"I was an assassin Steve"

"Yeah, was. But you've–"

"HYDRA found me. I was their mindless assassin for another year before I barely escaped" Bucky looks so hurt, so vulnerable, so scared. I never saw this side of him before.
"I didn't just come here to for Poptarts and a bed. I also came to warn you" he finally says.  I raise an eyebrow. "What's going on?" I ask.

"Your friend, she's a target"

"For who?"

"HYDRA. They either want her dead or want her to join"  I take a deep breath. Winky can't be taken away, we just got her. She's been through enough shit, why can't anyone just leave her b?

"So what do we do?"  I finally say. Bucky just looks at the floor.

"Whatever happens Bucky, I will not let her be taken by those horrible people"

                     •     •     •     •
Winky

   I toss and turn in my bed, but I still can't sleep. I'm too hot, then I'm too cold, it's a never ending cycle of throwing the covers off me, to throwing them back on. I groan in frustration when I look at the time: 2:30.

Maybe I should go for walk, I think.

   I get up and change out of my pyjamas and into my sweats. I slip my jacket and my boots on, and head out down the hall. I hear a faint sound coming from the room a few doors down. Curious, I investigate. I follow the sound to Bucky's room.
"Pain gives me...power..." I hear a voice in German say. I slowly open the door and see Bucky, tossing and turning in his sleep, mumbling random words in German. I walk over to his bed and try shaking him awake.
"Bucky?" Nothing.  "Bucky wake up" I say again. He suddenly swings his metal fist straight at my face. I block it, flinching a bit at the tingling feel of the Vibranium on my palm. I look at Bucky's horrified expression.
"Oh no, I'm so sorry I–" he starts.
"Save your apologies for when it's appropriate" I say. Bucky stares at me for a second, then sits up on the bed. He's not wearing a shirt so I can easily see the full Vibranium arm. I step back a bit, but now it looks like I'm scared of him.
"Vibranium messes with my powers" I clarify.
"What are your powers anyways?" He asks me. I sit on the bed with him and flick my fingers, making sparks of electricity fly out my fingertips. Bucky looks at them, amazed at my abilities.
"Cool right?" I say, smiling. He doesn't say anything, just stares at my hands.
"You must have been having a pretty intense nightmare" I say, breaking the silence. He takes a quick glance at me, then looks down at the bed sheets.
"It's nothing" he almost whispers to me.
"You almost knocked me out. I don't think that's 'nothing'" I say, adding air quotations. He sighs, but doesn't say anything. "I know what it's like" I say. Bucky looks up. Finally I have his attention. "They're not really dreams, but memories" I say. He looks at me, surprised.
"How do you know?" He finally asks.
"I've had more then my fair share of trauma" I answer. I think about what Steve told me a few nights ago after I had a very bad dream. "If you don't want to talk about it, you don't have to. But if you keep it to yourself, it's only going to get worse" Bucky looks so innocent. If you didn't know what he used to do, you'd think he's a puppy in human form.

"You need sleep. You look like you haven't slept in days" I practically whisper to him. He sighs and nods. I smile and say goodnight to him.

"Did they ever stop?" I hear him ask. I stop at the door way, and turn to face him.
"Not yet" I answer.

"When will they?"

"When you learn how to face your fears" On that note, I leave and close the door behind me.

Hi ya'll! Sorry this one seems short, but this is they only way I could end the chapter. I'm not sure if Winky and Bucky should be together or not, I've been debating it but I still don't know.

VOTE

COMMENT