TWENTY ONE

All of us were getting ready when the doorbell rang, telling us that someone was here.

Sara was most likely to be the culprit of that, but we had snatched the home phone right off her before she could dial the Domino's pizza number. 

Shooting an annoyed look towards Sara, I strolled over to open the door.

"Sorry about this, my friend Sara is such a pain in the ne-"

I cut myself off once a floppy brown haired boy marched passed me and into the house.

"Excuse me," I yelled at Mason, chasing after him and whacking his shoulder when I had caught up with the brooding figure. "I don't just allow guests into my house like that. Especially angry ones."

"I'm not angry!" He growled in an aggravated tone.

"Sure," I whispered, going over to my cabinet and grabbing a few torches.

I checked if they all worked, luckily they did, and began handing them all out. One for Sara, one for Ashley and one for me. There was one left and I immediately smirked before smacking a torch into his hands.

"If you want to be extremely helpful then I suggest you come with us," I explained, answering his questioning look that he shot my way.

Glaring at us all, me mainly, he grumbled, "What are you guys doing anyway?"

Sighing deeply, I replied, "Look, all you need to know is that I am searching my grandmother's freaky basement because I found a key inside one of my mum's plant pots."

Mason grumpily grunted out a few incoherent words before stomping out the door with the torch in his clenched hand.

Rolling her eyes, Ashley walked right up to me and spat out, "Why are you inviting him? He'll either slow us down or be a nuisance."

"We need all the help we can get," I clearly stated. "Who knows what could be down there!"

"It's not like some person is going to come out and attack us," Ashley said like it was self-explanatory.

Sara, hearing our conversation, remarked, "Apparently ghosts are quite common in abandoned basements."

"Yeah, a ghost is going to a appear and jump out and scare us," Ashley fired back with sarcasm laced in her tone.

"Ashley, this basement was my grandmother's and now that she has unfortunately died her house is abandoned," I informed her. "Look, I may had only met her once in my life, but from what I had heard she was quite a woman."

Closing the door and locking it behind us, I made my way over to Sara's car whilst chatting about my abnormal grandmother.

"She had dead, stuffed cats in her lounge and on her fireplace!" I exclaimed. "Don't tell me that isn't a little weird to you?"

As I was about to open the door, I realised that Sara's car consisted of two seats. A driver's seat and a passenger's seat.

"Ashley...do you mind riding with Mason?" I squeaked out, praying in my mind that she would not argue and do what a good friend would do.

"Ye- I mean no of course not," Ashley strained out, nodding at my pleading eyes.

"Well I mind!" Mason yelled out childishly. "She's a lunatic!"

Ashley sent him a thunderous glare before stomping over to Sara's car.

Gulping down whatever pathetic protests I had, I lumbered over to Mason with my shoulders sagged and my head lowered to the ground.