TWENTY SIX

Striding into school, I scanned around grumpily. Last night, was eventful. Let's just say I didn't go to bed happy.

"Leia!" A voice called out, making me freeze on the spot. "I need your help."

Spinning around, I saw a distressed Ana appear. I hadn't seen her in ages but she had helped Mason and I get out of the school.

However saying that, made me doubt Ana. She must had known about my family being in debt to hers. Did she know that they were the ones that trapped us in the school? Did Mason know all along about that?

"Look, if it's about Mason then no," I responded. "I won't help him."

"Oh come on, Leia!" She replied quickly before leaning in to whisper. "He needs our help."

After a few seconds, I asked, "What is it then?"

Crossing my arms over my chest, I stared at Ana as she began to speak.

"Leia, he's not a bad person and he definitely didn't betray you," she gulped. "But I did."

"How is that helping?" I murmured, widening my eyes in astonishment.

"I already knew way before who you were and how you had to pay my uncle," she admitted. "Mason though, he didn't know until everything in that abandoned house clicked into his small brain."

"You know about the abandoned house?" I uttered out.

"Yes, he came rushing to me."

"And you went rushing to your uncle afterwards I suppose," I shook my head in disbelief, thinking about the incredulous thought.

"No, no, no, no," she cried out hurriedly. "I wouldn't do that, Leia. I care about whoever my cousin cares about."

"Then how did he know about Mason's secret?" I asked. "Surely someone would had told his dad about my grandmother's basement."

"I didn't," Ana revealed with a baffled face. "Actually he doesn't know about that at all."

"Huh? Well, what is Mason's secret then?" I pondered.

"Nothing. My uncle must had been mistaken. Catch you later," she hastily answered, dashing passed other students to get to where she ever was meant to be.

Ana was being very suspicious and she gave me a wary feeling. I hoped she didn't end up being a nasty traitor like Mason.

Ana said he didn't betray you though.

"And I'm supposed to believe her?" I scoffed to myself. What a bloody joke.

*
*
*
*
At lunch, it was awkward. Mason just sat on Kane's and Angela's table whilst watching me like a hawk. He even tried talking to me when I was in the queue to get food. I kind of felt bad about ignoring him. What if Mason wasn't lying? What if he really didn't know until the abandoned house?

As I went round the corner, I stopped for a second. I was just wandering around like a numpty. I had left Ashley, Sara and Abby to go for a walk around the school.

During the walk, I was just thinking about Mason mostly and how close we were. What was odd though, was that I didn't think Mason would betray me. It didn't seem right.

Speeding down the corridor, I felt a rush of adrenaline wave over me. It was strange. It was like a rush of urgency and I wasn't late to class.

"Look what the cat dragged in, Kane," a snobby voice squeaked.

The sound of high-heels brought to my attention as I lifted my head up to meet the eyes of the biggest bimbo at school, Angela Herrington.

I gulped nervously as I fiddled with the hem of my jumper. The adrenaline I had, soon left me. I stood there stunned with my mouth agape when I saw Kane enter with his arm wrapped around Angela's waist. Why couldn't he just be true to himself?