The War of The Blood Sea

Belphegor watched me thoughtfully as we sat; sinking back into the soft cushions I couldn't tell if he was closer to being awake or asleep. His eyes rested softly on mine making my heart flutter wildly, and leaving me to wonder if he was using some weird demon magic on me or not. He sighed contently and his quick eyes brightened, as though he had come to some silent conclusion during his half-sleep.

"I want to tell you everything." He said, his voice was smooth and warm and made my mind prickle with some unknown emotion. "But I can't decide how much of a bad idea that is."

"Why would it be a bad idea?" I asked quietly, not wanting to break the calm haze that lay over us.

"Because you might do something rash, something which would put you in a danger that I don't want you to be in." I opened my mouth to tell him I could look after myself but he held up a hand to silence me. "However," he emphasized "I think you might be in more danger if you don't know. And there is no one else to tell you, willingly that is."

"You can't say you have a secret and then not tell me what it is...it's the rules." I added firmly.

"The rules huh?" he laughed lightly. "Well if that is the case then I suppose I have no choice. Is there anything in particular that you wanted to know?"

I thought carefully, there were so many things that didn't make sense to me that I had no idea where to start, but then it dawned on me clearly, one thing that I never thought to ask but realised I should have long ago.

"What am I?"

Belphegor's eyes saddened slightly at my question, and I wondered what it was exactly that I had just asked. "You are the last of your kind. An impossible child that cannot exist."

"If I can't exist then how am I sat here, how am I talking to you?" my breath caught in my throat a little at the thought of being the last of anything, at the thought of not being who I always thought I was.

"Your parents died thousands of years ago, along with every other member of your race in the most brutal and devastating war of our history, The War of The Blood Sea." He looked at me, searching my eyes and mind for my reaction. I kept both artfully blank, and burrowed my eyes into the gold patterns on the teacups before me on the table.

He spoke softly as he continued. "There are many races of demon, but all fall into one of three hierarchies. Those in the third hierarchy are low in power and status, they cause some small amount of disruption to the lives of humans, but are not dangerous. They are the reason your keys will go missing before you have to leave, or why you forget what you went into a room for when you walk through the door." He paused to add a lump of sugar to his already sweet tea, stirring it gently before continuing.

"The second hierarchy of demons covers those who possess enough power to cause noticeable damage. They are the demons that talk a person into suicide, lead them to drink, rape, beat and murder one another. They are everything that a person does not want to be, and they can vary quite dramatically in their power, and the power they hold over a human. They amplify tendencies already held within a person's soul and cause them to act upon their impulses. They are the voice in your head that you cannot ignore, they are the feeling of being watched when nobody is there, the shadow that follows you even in the dark."

I shuddered at his description, still not sure where he was going with this. "And then," He paused, sitting up slightly and looking deeply into my eyes for what seemed to be an eternity before continuing. "There are the demons that belong to the first hierarchy. The demons that have the power to command the mass slaughter of countries, genocide and murder of countless thousands just for the joy of it. They are the demons who can drive the humans into the insanity of war and revel in the blood that is shed, they can devour souls and rape a person's mind, leading them into a depravity so deep that it will seem acceptable to starve and shoot and gas and burn any number of people on such a trivial difference as race or religion. They have the power to destroy the humans with an ease and proficiency that makes them a serious threat. I am one of those demons, and so are you."

"W-what?" I stared at him in disbelief, I couldn't form the questions raging through my head into sound and found that all I could do was look at him wide eyed and probably open-mouthed. This gentle and calm man who looked so, so normal, he would do that... I would do that?

"It is not that we inherently would do it Allie, it's just that we could." He had leant forward again, and looked like he was contemplating reaching out to touch my hands which I had unconsciously balled into fists on my lap.

"What does that have to do with a war?" I asked quietly, eyes still fixed on the table.

"The war was because of our abilities, the abilities of your race especially, were deemed to be too much of a danger to human life. And so it was sought to be extinguished, the Saith race was exterminated under the guise of war, there were no survivors. Which is why you cannot possibly exist, you are not just rare Allie, you are completely and utterly singular in your existence, you are inexplicable."

Silence stretched out between us as my confusion turned to rage. I could feel the angry heat of the rock in my pocket seeping through the thin fabric of my dress, consumed with the need for revenge.

"Who did it?" I questioned, my red eye burning with fury and my black one smouldering with untouched power as I met the eyes of Belphegor. "Who killed them?"

He met my gaze, his own eyes in flames, before uttering two simple words that would change everything.

"The Angels."