Plans Change

In the end, Magnus had picked out a rather plain pair of swimming trunks -- Alec hid in the back room the whole time -- and decided to spend the next day at the beach.

It was a rare lovely day and he spent most of it walking idly down the shoreline, collecting small shells and interesting pebbles. The ocean smelt like salt and fish. This whole town had a fishy feel but Magnus didn't mind. It was such a refreshing change from the old urine smell of New York or the stale air of London. Magnus owned homes in both locations but usually spent most of his time when not on tour in London, as that was where his friends Will and Tessa lived with their two kids, James and Lucie. Magnus always made a point to bring exotic gifts for his godchildren when he visited. Tessa was originally from the US but she had moved after she got married. William, though he always went by Will, was born and raised in Wales. He'd moved to London for work before he met Tessa, who had come to London to visit her brother. In New York, Magnus had his good friend Caterina who was a trauma surgeon and thus very busy. Magnus also owned a small apartment in Paris, but he almost never used it and rented it out much of the time.

He wiggled his toes in the soft sand and smiled, looking out over the horizon. Magnus was so glad he'd done this. With each crash of the waves, like the beat of a heart, Magnus could feel the stress of his life fading away. He was in no hurry to leave; it had only been four days, after all. That was hardly an extended vacation.

The beach was so peaceful and the horizon seemed to go on forever. It was so refreshing to be truly alone. No managers or bodyguards watching his every move and no camera or press. Magnus wished he had one person here with him to talk to, but he knew Catarina was far too busy and definitely unwilling to fly from New York to Tofino just to see him. If Magnus wasn't currently hiding from his manager he thought Ragnor was the most likely to join him. The determined bachelor lived in London but went with Mangus on every tour. This was greatly in part to the fact they'd been friends long before Ragnor had been Magnus's manager. Before Magnus's music became popular, Ragnor had been the one who had always believed in him. Tessa and Will he knew would have dropped everything to join him, before they had kids. Now they were far too busy. Maybe Clary, Magnus thought. His make up artist was always a pleasure to spend time with, though he was sure in this case inviting her to join him would result in Ragnor and company figuring out where he was. That was not worth the slight need Magnus had for company. Plenty of time to be overwhelmed with people later when he eventually had to go back home.

He thought again about turning his phone back on to check his messages. Magnus had kept his phone off ever since boarding the plane four days ago and was dreading the amount of missed calls and texts he would have. If he was honest with himself, it was probably time to go home but if he went home now he would never get to know Alec better. Magnus wanted to know Alec better and it wasn't just because the man was drop dead gorgeous. Alec's shy blush had touched Magnus's heart.

Magnus saw a vender and realized how hungry he was, but when he approached it, he was seized with a sudden idea.

"Excuse me," Magnus said. "But do you happen to know where Alec, who works at Lightwood Boards, lives?" It was such a small town after all and in movies people always knew everyone in small towns. It was worth a shot.

"You mean Alec Lightwood?" the vendor asked.

"Yes," Magnus said while mentally kicking himself for not realizing the name of the store was also Alec's surname.

"I think he and that friend of his from the shop rent a townhouse," the vendor replied. "But I couldn't tell you where."

"Well thanks anyway," Magnus said before ordering his lunch and paying the man in cash. So that hadn't worked but at least Magnus knew Alec's last name now. He wondered if Alec was short for something.