Aftermath

There was a knock at the door, a rather hurried one, but Alec did not get up. He remained sitting at his ancient computer. He was reading an article comparing how long Magnus had dated each of his previous girlfriends, Camille being the longest and most recent one. Alec knew he shouldn't be reading this, but his eyes just couldn't turn away. He heard Jace talking to someone at the door, but tried very hard not to listen. Even so, it didn't take long for him to recognize Magnus's voice.

"Alec!" Magnus voice ran down the hall a few moments later. "Please talk to me, Alexander!"

Alec thought about ignoring the call. He thought about just sitting here and reading more and more about the man Alec had thought he'd known. The words before him made Alec all shades of jealous, furious and miserable. How could seeing Magnus possible make things worse? It's hard to ignore someone calling your name directly like that. Alec got up and slowly walked down the hall. When he stopped, he stood a little behind Jace facing Magnus, almost as if Jace was his shield. Alec definitely felt like he needed a shield.

"What do you want Magnus Bane," Alec said sourly, but Magnus just stared at him. If he didn't have anything to say why had he come? "Well?"

"Alec," Magnus said softly. He took a step forward, reaching his hand out. Alec stepped back automatically and Magnus let his arm fall. "Please don't be mad."

"Was anything you said true?" Alec couldn't resist asking. He had been so honest during their days together, and he now felt raw and burned, exposed. He was glad Jace was there.

"I have never lied to you, Alexander," Magnus replied quickly. "Every word was the truth, I promise." But that didn't make any sense, Alec thought. How could everything have been the truth if such a huge thing had been overlooked? A lie of omission is still a lie.

"I don't know who you are anymore," Alec said, shaking his head.

"I'm the same person I've always been," Magnus spoke softly.

"No you aren't," Alec counted. "Now you are larger than life. Now I am known as the guy caught with Magnus Bane. I am not me anymore. I'm nobody." Alec didn't give Magnus a chance to say anything else. He turned quickly and walked away. None of it had been real. There was no other explanation. Magnus's interest in Alec had made no sense before and now it was almost comical. And even if Alec was with Magnus he would never be just Alec ever again. He would be Magnus Bane's who knows what! His experiment? His funny vacation story? Already Alec's work had become Magnus Bane's vacation job. His mother had called to say she and Robert had been overrun with press just an hour ago.

When he finally heard Jace closing the door, he knew Magnus was out of his life forever. Alec was surprised by how much that hurt. Maybe it would make a good story someday or maybe at some point in the future it would inspire Alec to write a poem that was actually halfway decent, but for today Alec was just crushed. He was going to go back to his computer to sulk. And by sulk he meant google. Alec brought one of his legs up and tucked it under him while he sat awkwardly in the old desk chair. He had never used his computer this much in this short a period of time before and it was whining it's annoyance, but even so Alec continued his google searches. He learned more about Camille. She had her own opinion about Magnus's holiday romance. Alec watched videos of her crying into the microphones of reporters about how Magnus could never have loved her as she was a woman. She sobbed hysterically saying she should have know he was gay since he loved make up so much.

Alec found a youtube video where Magnus was holding the camera while wearing his cat's eyes and make up. He was answering questions that people had asked him on twitter between takes. As Alec recognized the make up Magnus had worn in one of his music videos, he realized he had clearly watched that video too many times. Magnus's smiling face talked to the camera affectionately while he introduced his crew since someone on twitter had asked about them. Alec recognized the man he'd met at the motel, who was again wearing a green suit, just in a different shade. There was also a girl with fiery red hair. Under her face it read 'Clary Fairchild: Makeup artist.' Though Alec had never and would most likely never meet this woman, he decided he didn't like her. She was the one whose job it was to turn his Magnus into the world's Magnus Bane.