Misguided Ghosts

Misguided Ghosts

"Angel, the is Emmett Cullen." Maybelle introduced. "His father works at the hospital with me." Emmett Cullen? Why did that name sound so familiar? Emmett smiled at me, his smile made my heart melt. What? No! I mentally smacked myself. I can't be feeling this way about him! I promised Kevin I would never love another. Especially a vampire.

"How are you Dr. Finn?" Emmett asked, turning to Maybelle.

"I'm perfect now that Angel is here." I tried not to roll my eyes. Bitch, stop acting like you love me. Only one person has ever truly loved me, and it wasn't you. "So what are you doing here Emmett?"

"Just getting some assignments I missed yesterday." He replied cooly.

"Maybelle? I'm going to sit in the car." I said, she nodded and turned her attention back to Emmett. I didn't like the way Emmett looked at me as I walked away. He looked at me possessively, like I belonged to him. I belonged to no one, I was my own person and I wasn't about to let some guy-vampire-change that.

I walked to the Camaro and got inside.

A vampire? Here? In this shitty town? No fucking way. But something about Emmett fasinated me. I had learned a lot from Felix, the one vampire I knew and hated. There were many differences between Emmett and Felix. The one most everyone would notice, their eyes. Felix's eyes were a deep crisom red, and Emmett's were a carmel brown color. Then their attitudes, Felix was dominet and aggressive. Emmett, from what I could see just now, was sweet and funny, light yet guarded.

Suddenly the door open, causing me to jump slightly. It was just Maybelle.

"Are you okay?" Maybelle asked, concerned. I nodded and she was smart enough to drop it. That night I skipped dinner and stayed in my room. I wasn't suppost to be having these feelings. I was in love with Kevin, only Kevin! Even though he was gone, the pain of losing him was still with me.

I sighed and went to get my guitar.

I used to always play on it when I got upset, but I hadn't been able to play since Kevin died. It brought back to many memories. I sat on my bed and gently pulled the strings. The sound rang out clear and soft, I smiled. Without realizing it, I started playing my favorite song of the moment.

I'm going away for a while
But I'll be back, don't try and follow me
'cause I'll return as soon as possible
See I'm trying to find my place
But it might not be here where I feel safe
We all learn to make mistakes
And run
From them, from them
With no direction
We'll run from them, from them
With no conviction
Cause I'm just one of those ghosts
Traveling endlessly
Don't need no road
In fact they follow me
And we just go in circles
But now I'm told that this is life
And pain is just a simple compromise
So we can get what we want out of it
Would someone care to classify,
A broken hearts and twisted minds
So I can find someone to rely on
And run
To them, to them
Full speed ahead
Oh you are not
Useless
We are just
Misguided ghosts
Traveling endlessly
The ones we trusted the most
Pushed us far away
And there's no one road
And we should not be the same
But I'm just a ghost
And still they echo me
They echo me in circles

When I was done, tears were sliding down my cheeks.

I miss you Kevin, I thought quietly.

**********

The rest of the weekend past by too quickly. I dreaded having to see Emmett again. What was with all these mother fucking vampires following me around? First Felix and his goons and now Emmett Cullen. Did I do something wrong? Was God punishing me? Monday morning came too early. Maybelle cane in and woke me up, and after getting ready and a quick breakfast Maybelle took me and Jenna to school.

"Have a good first day!" Maybelle wished me as I walked toward Forks High School. Fat chance, I thought as I almost ran to my locker. I was trying to avoid all the questioning stares. I sighed in relief when I made it without being caught.

But I spoke too soon. "You Angel Jennings, right?" Even though I had ony heard the voice once, I would know that deep, bass voice anywhere. I turned slightly to see Emmett Cullen leaning casually against the locker next to mine. The people walking past us seemed to disappear as I stared into his warm buttermilk eyes. The corners of his lips pulled up slightly into a shy smile, the sight caused my breathing to quicken. I shook my head and mentally slapped myself. I am NOT suppost to be feeling this!

"Yea, what's it to you?" I asked as I grabbed my books and slammed my locker shut. Emmett didn't even flinch at the sudden sound, figures stupid vampire senses.

"Dr. Finn asked me to keep an eye on you to make sure you stay out of trouble. And to show you around the school a bit." Emmett explained. I rolled my eyes, Maybelle's overprotectiveness was starting to get on my last fucking nerve. "So I'm keeping good to my word."

"Well thanks but no thanks." I started to walk toward my first hour class, only to have Emmett grab my arm and pull me back. His death cold skin sent shivers up my arm and through the rest of my body. Emmett quickly realized his mistake and withdrew his hand.

"At least let me show you to your first class." Emmett offered. I deliperated for a moment. Upside to having a vampire show me to class - none the came to mind. Downside-he could mislead me and lead me into a dark corner and suck me dry. But I didn't think he would. Ever since I was little, I'd always had an easy time telling wether or not to trust someone. And for a reason that was beyond my understanding, I trusted Emmett.

"So what's your first class?" Emmett asked. I shrugged and pulled my shedule out of my back pocket. World History with M. Richards. I showed it to Emmett, he smiled.

"I know right where that is, let me show you." He walked ahead, expecting me to follow him. So I did. He lead me through the main building and out to the first portable on my left. He opened to door like a gentleman and I walked into a small but toasty room. Class had not started yet so the classroom was almost empty.

"Have a good first hour. I'll be waiting outside for you after class." Emmett whispered from behind me, his cold breath made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. I turned around to protest but Emmett was gone. I sighed and sat at an empty table in the back. I waited impatiently for class to start. Suddenly, startling me, the nasal bell rang just as everyone was walking through the door. I wasn't paying attention so I didn't realize when someone sat down next to me.

"Hey, I'm Penny." I turned around to see a red haired girl sitting next to me. She had long, very curly red hair that reached her mid back. She had grey eyes and very pale skin. She looked kinda sad, but I liked her anyway. I clicked with her almost instantly.

"Angel." I said offering her my hand. She shook it and then Mr. Richards came to our table.

"Angel Jennings?" He asked and I nodded. "Here are your books." He handed me two small-ish text books. One said World History while the other read U.S. History. Mr. Richards walked up to the front of the class and started talking. I barely listened to him as he talked, I was too busy doodooling on my notebook. I turned toward where Penny was sitting when I felt something poke me.

There was a note tucked under my elbow. I quickly unwrapped and read it.

Hey, this is sooo boring. -Penniez I laughed quietly at her message.

Tell me about it. This will be the class I nap in. -Angel I passed the note to her as soon as Mr. Richards wasn't looking. Penny scribbled something down and passed it back.

Lol, you're funny. Much different from what everyone has said about you. -Penniez

What could they know about me. Yeh? Wat has 'everyone' said about me? -Angel I passed the note back to her. This time it took a little longer for her to write back.
Well, when news that Maybelle was adopting a teenager got out, everyone freaked out. An ass load of stories came with it. That you were a drug dealer from the streets of L.A. Part true, I thought. That you were some church going goody goody. Shit like that, but I guess it's not true. -Penniez

That's not even close to true. -Angel

Then what is? -Penniez

I laughed at her curiousity. Maybe one day I'll tell you. -Angel

The rest of the hour passed slowly after that. I could barely pay attention to what Mr. Richards was saying. I was relieved when the nasal bell sounded for the end of first period. I walked out of the portable and into the cold Washington air. True to his word Emmett Cullen was there waiting for me. I rolled my eyes and ignored him. He just followed me to my second hour-Art-and sat down next to me.

"So you have this class with me?" He asked with a michovious smile placed on his face.

"I guess." I said as the art teacher came into the classroom. This was probably the only class I stayed awake for. I had always loved art and I was fairly good at it too. Not professional worthy but close to it. The teacher was talking about self portraits. How to draw them, shading, the works. I was so ingrossed by what the teacher was saying the I didn't notice Emmett sudden attitude change. Emmett went from very relaxed to tensed and anxious. He angled his chair as far from mine as possible.

The hour passed to quickly for my taste, the nasal bell rang and Emmett ran out of the room before I could get out of my seat. So much for my tour guide.

By the time lunch rolled around, I still hadn't seen Emmett. But I had seen his family. More vampires. All of the extremely beautiful, they didn't look anything alike, except the two blondes. But they still had those vampire features, carmel colored eyes, very pale skin. I watched them carefully while I sat next to Penny-who I had most of my classes with-all through lunch. Emmett still hadn't come back and the rest of the Cullens acted like he didn't exsite. After lunch I had P.E. which I had with two of the other Cullens and their human friend.

I tried to concentrate on the game we were suppost to be playing but I could only think about the stares I felt pouring into my back.

"Jennings!" Coach Clapp called. "Pay attention!" I looked up right in time to see a basketball soaring towards me. I cringed, expecting it to hit me in the face, but after a minute I looked up to see the pixie like Cullen girl. She had the bascketball in one hand and a huge smile on her face.

"Ummm, thanks." I told her, she nodded and threw the ball back to Jessica, a girl who was in two of my classes.

"So you're Angel?" The pixie girl asked, her voice sounded like bells. I nodded, following her to the back of the gym, hoping to get away from the flying balls. "I'm Alice Cullen." She offered her hand and I took it hesitantly. Her skin, like Emmett's, was ice cold. The broze haired Cullen and his human "friend" came up to us just then. "And this is my brother Edward and his girlfriend Bella." Bella smiled at me while Edward just stared strangely.

"Hello." I said, trying to break the awkward silence.

"Hi." Bella said, smiling.

"So where's Emmett?" I asked Edward. "I haven't seen him since 2nd preiod." Edward, Bella, and Alice tensed.

"I think he went home sick, he hasn't been feeling well all day." Edward replied, but I could tell he was lying. Vampires don't get sick! Suddenly the bell rang, and I understood the meaning of saved by the bell. The rest of the day passed quickly and I was relieved when the final bell rang. I made it to my locker and out of the school in record time. Maybelle pulled up shortly after that and we drove home in silence.