Chapter Three

For several hours the two sat in silence in the Lab while tinkering away with the the computers. Despite her knowledge, it still seemed to take forever. And this was suppose to be the shortcut? Looks like the shortcut needs a shortcut. The silence was starting to get to Elizabeth so she turned to Dr. Banner. It had been forever since she was meant to do this stuff, and even when she was in her 'prime' she never could sit still for too long.

"So, Banner," she started. "You're a Doctor?" It was a stupid question, and she knew that, but she needed to start somewhere. Why not with the obvious?

He looked up, "You can call me Bruce," he offered. "And yeah I am. What about you Elizabeth?"

She shrugged, "I mean, I'm your average science nerd, chemistry, biology, physiology, physics, all the fun stuff. But my Grandparents worked at S.H.I.E.L.D. so I guess that's why I'm here."

"Well either way, I'm sure it is going to be a pleasure to work with you."

"Oh you don't have to be so formal," she laughed as she knocked out another location on the maps. God knows it was going to take them literally forever to find it, despite this "short cut".  They were probably going to need more help. Admittedly, she was curious. So far there was only two of them working, but when Agent Coulson confronted her on joining this, he had said 'techs' implying that there was going to be more.

"So, what do you do? As a job I mean?" It was clear that she wasn't working for S.H.I.E.L.D. before, and Bruce figured if she was a big name anywhere else, he would have heard of her.

Elizabeth let the computer continue to scan as she pulled out files upon files of notes that was left for them. Some on a man named Selvig. "I dance," she flipped through the Selvig one, it peaking her interest.

"You... dance?"

"Pole dancing," the answer was nonchalant, it wasn't a big deal. She didn't like people who made it one. Pole dancing did have negative connotations with it, people always connecting it to a sexual level, which to be fair, she did work at a club, but pole dancing was more than that.

"If you specialized in Chemistry and Computer Science, why are you doing that?"

"I have to pay for college some how," she winked at him, entirely joking, she was one of the lucky few who was done with paying for college.

"I see," his tone was fair, and it didn't sound as if he was judging her, which was a bonus for her. "Is that all you're here for?"

She simply shrugged, honestly? She didn't know yet, although she had her suspicions.

The two was engulfed in silence again and Elizabeth felt herself staring at Bruce. It was odd. He had managed to act so awkward, yet hostile, but so calm while being here. Was that even possible? And who was she working with, honestly? It wasn't that he scared her, or made her nervous, but the fact that everyone else seemed to act like it. "Hey Bruce?"

"Hmm?" he mumbled not even looking up.

"Who are you? I mean- who are you really? Why are you here?"

"The same as you Elizabeth," he gave an uneasy smile. "To locate the tesseract."

"Is that so?" she sauntered over and leaned against one of the white desks. "Then why does everyone act like you're some dangerous monster?" Did he really think she was that stupid? Because she wasn't.

Bruce sighed as he took off his glasses. He didn't know whether she actually knew or not, or was she just testing him? Trying to find out his 'secret' like everyone else? "Because I am."