Chapter Nine

Elizabeth was bouncing a ball at the wall, taking a pause from her work. It was memorizing to watch the glittery pink ball bounce back and forth, and it was a rather appealing. Once you got started, it was like you couldn't stop.

"What are you doing Mr. Stark?" Fury stormed through the lab sounded pissed, and Elizabeth just knew that Jarvis (who ever that was) and Tony had successfully hacked the S.H.I.E.L.D. She was surprised it kind of took this long, but she knew it was going to happen eventually.

"Uh..kind of been wondering the same thing about you."

"You're suppose to be locating the tesseract."

Bruce practically jumped to Tony's defense, "We are. The model's locked and we're sweeping for the signature now. When we get a hit, we'll have the location within a half a mile."

"And you'll get your cube back, no muss, no fuss," Tony's attention turned back to his monitor where it showed a collection of secret files. "What's phase 2?"

Steve walked in dropping a weapon, "Phase 2 is the S.H.I.E.L.D. using the cube to make weapons."

Elizabeth caught the ball in her hand and turned around to face the men. Steve had to be kidding. They weren't really planning to make weapons by using the cube? Those weapons would be for mass destruction.

"Rogers, we gathered everything related to the tesseract. This does not mean that we're-"

"I'm sorry, Nick." Tony moved to show the weapon plans. "What were you lying?"

Elizabeth slowly inched away from the group of growing angry men, she could see this getting very ugly, very fast. She didn't know all of them, but she noticed Bruce was almost always on edge, Tony always seemed ready to fight, and Steve was definitely ready to fight Tony, and Fury was the last person to piss off.

"Tony you said so yourself that he kept secrets," Elizabeth defended taking the eyes on her. She figured there was some explanation why they had those plans, and maybe Fury just wasn't saying it because of something like this.

"I was wrong, director. The world hasn't changed a bit," Steve frowned.

And if things could get any worse, Thor and Natasha had chosen that moment to walk into the lab as well. Bruce turned to Natahsa, "Did you know about this?"

"You wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, doctor?"

Bruce moved giving a scoff, "I was in Calcutta, I was pretty well removed."

"Loki's manipulating you," she moved forward.

Within seconds he shot back, "And you've been doing what exactly?"

"You didn't come here  because I bat my eyelashes at you."

"Yes, and I'm not leaving because suddenly you get a little twitchy," he snapped as he moved to the monitor. "I'd like to know why S.H.I.E.L.D. is using the tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."

"Because of him," Fury pointed to Thor. Fury now stood in the middle, as everyone else stood in some deformed circle.

Thor looked flabbergasted, "Me?"

Fury nodded, "Last year earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned. "

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet," Thor spoke growing more upset.

Nick hopped to his own defense, "But you're not the only people out there, are you? And, you're not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, they can't be controlled."