Chapter Four

Elizabeth almost couldn't believe it. There she sat, at a table, with multiple famous people, superheros at that. Agent Romanoff, she had learned, was actually the Black Widow, which was utterly terrifying knowing she was in a room with the deadliest assassin, and Captain Rogers was actually freaking Captain America, Bruce was the Hulk. Not to mention, yet another freaking God; Thor. Tony Stark was also involved. These were the people she was working with? She was beginning to feel unqualified for the job.

And they all were sitting around a table, watching the live stream of Fury and Loki.

"In case it's unclear. You try to escape. You so much as scratch that glass," he opened up the ground beneath the glass cell that Loki was in. "Thirty thousand feet, straight down in a steel trap. You get how that works?!" He stood glaring at Loki with all of his badassery.

But then Loki started laughing, almost the stereotypical evil guy laugh too. "It's an impressive cage," he opened his arms wide. "Not built, I think, for me."

"Built for something a lot stronger than you," Fury stood his ground, not seeming threatened by Loki at all. The only down side was that Loki didn't seem intimidated either.

"Oh," he made a point to do a complete turn to look at the camera. "I heard."

Elizabeth tore her eyes away from the screen to look up at Bruce, knowing already that Loki was talking about him. He was standing there, one arm crossed over his chest, the other resting on that arm nearly covering his mouth.

"The mindless beast, makes play he's still a man. How desperate are you that you call upon such lost creatures to defend you?" Loki called out, and Elizabeth took personal offense to that.

Fury was quick to retaliate, "How desperate am I? You threaten my world with war. You steal a force you can't hope to control. You talk about peace and you kill 'cause it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did."

"Ooh. It burns you to come so close. To have the Tesseract, to have power, unlimited power. And for what? A warm light for all mankind to share, and then to be reminded what real power is."

Jesus, was this man a Russian doll? He was so full of himself.

Fury simply ended it by saying, "Well, you let me know if Real Power wants a magazine or something."

Fury had then walked away, and Loki stayed staring at the camera, in a rather unnerving fashion, until all of the screens turned pitch black.

Then it was utter silence across the room. And Elizabeth couldn't tell if it was due to anger at Loki, or processing what he said, but no one dared to speak for a long time.Thor stood looking deep in thought, as Bruce looked at the screen with a look she couldn't read, as the  others sat looking in deep thought. Loki was a real ass.

Surprisingly, Bruce was the first to speak. "He really grows on you, doesn't he?"

"Like a rash," Elizabeth snorted as she played with a pen.

That's when Captain Rogers- or Captain America practically took in charge, "Loki is going to drag this out. So, Thor, what's his play?"

"He has an army called the Chitauri. They're not of Asgard or any world known. He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the earth. In return, I suspect, for the Tesseract."

Captain America looked serious, "An army? From outer space?"

"You've got to be shitting me," Elizabeth said looking around. What was this? Some B rated sci-fi movie? So this is what knowing their was other creatures out their, more worlds entailed. Alien army's, perfect.