Chapter Seven

"That's it," Tony started as he backed away from a computer. "I'm taking a break. Don't have to much fun without me," he winked as he walked out knowing God knows where.

Elizabeth had been extra silent ever since her meeting with Loki, and although Bruce didn't know her that well, but from the few days that he had, he had caught on that she had a rather childish soul, and she was talkative. But all day, she hadn't tried to say a thing. So it was obviously bugging her. It was like an elephant in the room, and he could relate to that.

"So, this power," he turned to her. "You use it often?"

"Oh God no," she turned to him. "It's horrible. They say it's a gift but... it's a curse."

He nodded, "Yeah, I know that feeling. So there tends to be talk about your Grandma, were you guys close?"

"Definitely. I was over there more often than my parents house, I really did love them dearly. They were almost like my best friends, you know?" she breathed out remembering the many times she had stayed there. The countless Sunday mornings, eating cookies, and drinking coffee, talking about anything and everything. They honestly were her best friends, as a kid, despite that she was very outgoing, Elizabeth had difficulty making friends ever since she found out about her powers. "What about your family?"

Bruce breathed in and looked away stopping for a second, "My mother's dead."

Elizabeth turned to him and put her hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry, what happened?" By doing simple math, the likeliness of his mother dying due to age was very little, which had to be hard. She knew the loss of a loved one, but in counter both her Grandparents were old, both pushing in the 90's.

"My father killed her," Bruce was looking down again.

Holy shit, Elizabeth faltered. That was not what she was expecting, she was expecting cancer, or another type of illness.  "What happened?" Realizing that this was obviously a touchy subject she quickly added, "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

"No, it's okay," he gave her another one of is uneasy smiles before looking away again. "The home life wasn't the best when I was younger. Things just got bad, abusive."

Elizabeth stayed silent for a second, unsure of what to say. She never would have imagined not having that kind of support while growing up. Her and her parents didn't have relationship of the year, but they all still loved each other. And the amount of stress that would put on a brain, especially that young. And not to even mention now he had the Hulk. Elizabeth could barely begin to imagine that pain.

All she could do was stare at him, which after a long time of nothing, he looked up at her too. She was about to say something, but she paused unable to find the words.

"What? Do I have something on my face?" he joked.

"Your eyes."

Now he looked confused, but his face fell into one of panic, "What about them?" he was frowning.

"They're beautiful." anyone who said brown eyes were ugly were liars. Under the fluorescent light, they look dark, but were still gorgeous at that. Bruce's face got a red tint to it as he looked down again. "You know," she continued. "They say that the eyes are the window to the soul."

"Then you're not going to enjoy the view," Bruce turned away from her and got up to walk back to his work, but her voice stopped him.

"Do you do this to everyone?"

Bruce stood still practically in the center of the room. "Do what?" His head was slightly turned, but not enough to meet her eyes, but enough to show that he was paying attention, or most of all looking like he was unsure, at best.