Chapter 1

Jordan's P.O.V

12 years ago

I was quickly running out of breath, but I kept running. A chorus of high-pitched, childish giggles erupted behind me as she got closer.

"I'm gonna get you!" the little girl screamed.

Her name was Olivia. She had short blonde hair that had a natural curl to it. She was tall for her young age of five. I was six and shorter than her, much to my dismay.

I returned my thoughts to the game of tag we were playing and the few steps of the stairs between us as she got closer. I took the steps two at a time.

I felt a push on my back that was harder than intended and I fell face first onto the stone steps. Olivia screamed and ran for help as blood poured out of my nose and various cuts on my face. My mother came down and scooped me into her arms. I was taken to the castle's infirmiry to be healed.

That was the last day Olivia saw me as a friend, and I don't even know why.

Present day

I awoke to a sharp knock at the door.

"Breakfast is ready," the small voice of our servant, Olivia, ruined the dream I was having.

The dream was amazing. I was free and allowed to do whatever I want, not living under the strict rules and codes for a prince. In fact, I wasn't even royalty in my dream, but -sadly- that wasn't my reality. My reality is the strict shithole also known as our castle.

"Your highness-" she started as she opened the door.

"I heard you the first time!" I snapped, cutting her off.

I saw her through the open door and thought about how much she had changed. She was no longer a blonde little girl. She had blossomed into a beautiful young woman. She had long, wavy golden hair that had darkened with time. It went down to her lower back and was kept out of the way by a simple braid. Her face was naturally beautiful and she never wore makeup. Her eyes were a deep green, contrasting with the pinkness of her lips. She had a tall, thin frame and very defined curves. Her uniform was a brown dress with sleeves that went down to her elbows and a skirt that went down to her knees (it was also tighter and showed her figure nicely). She wore a white waist-apron and black flats that had worn down with age. She was beautiful, aside from the dirt and ash that covered her face and body that comes with being a servant.

She trembled at my sudden abbrasiveness and went to shut the door as fast as possible.

I put my hands up to my face and sighed. Another day to get through.

I took a quick shower and slipped on a pair of jeans. I didn't care if my family was waiting for me downstairs, so I took my time. I put on a t-shirt and headed down to breakfast.

My father grunted when he saw my casual attire, but other than that no one had anything to say. They knew better. It always went in one ear and out the other for me with a few snappy comments mixed in.

Compared to my laid-back style, my 21-year old older brother, Darren, was wearing a neatly pressed white button-down shirt and a pair of black slacks and brown dress shoes. My 16-year old twin sisters, Elle and Anna, were wearing identical dresses in different colors. Elle wore a green dress and Anna wore a purple one. My father wore a full navy blue suit and my mother wore a yellow ballgown. The picture perfect family... until I was thrown in.

I was the rebellious outcast of my family. While my siblings had impeccable manners, I didn't even know the definitions of 'please' and 'thank you'. I had a tutor twice a week to help me learn the skills, but I always blew him off to go hang with friends. My parents didn't like it, but I wasn't the future ruler, Darren was. They didn't care about what I did as much as what he did.

I quickly ate my breakfast of sausage and eggs and left the table for my room before my parents had time to object.

In my rush, I almost ran into Olivia, who was carrying a tray full of dishes. She stood there stunned, and by the looks of the clattering saucers she was holding, she was trembling.

"Watch where you're going," I muttered in an aggravated tone.

"My sincerest apologies, sir. I will be more aware of my surroundings next time," she said with a shaky voice. Her face had the look of a lost puppy, tempting me to laugh, but I held it in.

I walked away to my room without a response.

______________
Note: the picture shown is a possible character for Olivia.