Chapter 13

Olivia's P.O.V

I waited in the kitchen until they were done announcing the names of the incoming guests. After they had finished, I grabbed a tray of champagne and took it around the ballroom.

When my first tray was empty I took the opportunity to look up at the prince. He looked so happy. He had a large smile on his face as he greeted every one of this excessively beautiful and flirting girls.

Of course he wants them. There's no competition there. They are all more beautiful than me. They all have more money than me. And they aren't servants. I sighed.

As I turned around, I bumped into one of the guests.

"Watch it!" A shrill voice shrieked at me.

I looked at the person who I had bumped into. She was tall due to the very high heels she was wearing. She had on a red dress that almost revealed her breasts and was very tight all the way down. It accented every one of her curves. She had curly black hair and green eyes. Her lips were just as red as her dress and she had on layers of makeup with a red lace mask.

"I am so terribly sorry ma'am!" I apologised.

"You should be. I could have you fired," she threatened back before storming away.

What a bitch.

I carried the tray to the kitchen and took a deep breath. It's time.

I began making my way up to Thomàs.

*****

"It's beautiful," I exclaimed.

I had slipped into my ballgown for tonight. It was a floor length light blue ballgown. It had off the shoulder straps with a sweetheart neckline. It was marvelous. Along with it, I had gold heels and a tight gold necklace. I applied light makeup with shimmery eyeshadow and a reddish lipstick. My hair was done in loose curls with two front sections connected in the back.

I examined the girl in the mirror. She had my same outfit on. She had my hair, my eyes, my skin tone, and all of my features. But she still didn't look like me. This girl looked like she grew up in a wealthy household with two loving parents. This girl looked like a proper young lady, not a girl you had spent every last minute of her seventeen years of life as a servant.

"Do you like it?" Thomàs asked.

"Do I like it? I love it! Thank you so much!" I replied.

"Anything for you my dear," he said back.

Mary was standing by the door staring at me with her jaw dropped.

"You are so beautiful!" She said,"but you're missing something."

She came over to me with a beautiful golden mask in her hands. She gently tied it around my head.

"This was your mother's that she wore to a masquerade ball the castle held a long time ago," she told me.

I smiled at her as my eyes welled up with tears.

"Thank you," I told her softly.

"You look just like your mother!" She exclaimed with tears brimming her eyes.

I stared at her in confusion.

"How did did you know my mother? " I asked.

"When she was young, her and I were servants together. When she met your father, who was becoming very important to the royal family, she moved up in the ranks and stayed in the castle as a guest. She became exempt from work and we grew apart. Before she died she asked me to take care of you. I think I've done a pretty good job, "she said, ending with silent tears.

I was in tears as well as I ran over to hug her.

"Now hurry up and get your prince charming," she said with a laugh as she wiped her tears.

"Thank you both so much!" I exclaimed, running out the door.

"Wait!" Mary screamed right before I exited the room.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Don't forget, you have to be back in the kitchen by midnight. That's when we're going to begin cleaning up the party," she reminded me.

"I love you both so much, you're my family," I told them with a huge smile.

"We love you too honey," Thomàs said, "but you should get going. "

I left the room and headed back downstairs.

*****

I reached the large doors of the entrance to the ballroom and took a deep breath. This is it.

I closed my eyes and opened the door. As soon as I entered the room, still closing my eyes, I heard a collective gasp. I opened my eyes to see everyone staring at me. Oh no, something's wrong with me. I knew this was a bad idea.

I began to slowly back up as I became increasingly selfconcious until I remembered my mother's second rule: never lose hope. If I left now I lost any chance with Jordan. I have to keep going.

Whispers began to erupt as people continued to stare at me. I gulped and slowly descended the staircase. When I had reached the bottom the prince was already there waiting for me with his arm outstretched towards me.

"May I have this dance, " he asked in a deep, clear voice.

I smiled at him and nodded lightly,"I would be delighted."

You can play the provided song here if you want.

We took our starting positions in the middle of the ballroom floor as the orchestra began playing. We started to move in time. Step by step, everyone else in the room faded away as I stared into his beautiful blue eyes. I kept a large smile on my face and so did he.

After what felt like hours later, but was only actually about a minute, the vocalists joined the instrumentalists. Jordan hugged me closer to his body as we kept steady movements.

So this I love? Yes.

So this is what makes life divine? Yes.

I'm all aglow and now I know: the key to all heaven is mine. My heart has wings and I can fly.

The lyrics perfectly described how I felt about Jordan. I was truly in love with him and always had been.

As the song ended, Jordan pulled me into a sweet kiss. He pulled apart with a twinkle in his eyes and leaned down to my ear.

"I love you, Olivia," he whispered to me softly, so only the two of us could hear.

________

Hey, I just wanted to add a quick note. You totally don't have to read this if you don't want to (I never do lol), but I want to thank you all. I know that 60 total reads may not seem like a lot to some people, but to me it means so much. And 2 votes too!!! I came on this app to get my work out there just for fun and to see if I was good enough, so getting this many reads means a lot to me.

I really hope you enjoy the book so far (it's not over, don't worry [not that you were]). Remember, any criticism helps as long as it's constructive. Sorry for any existing mistakes. You guys are the best!!!

P.S. if you like this book, you should read my other books (I am really into 'The Real Me' myself [not so much 'Slipping']).