Chapter 12

Olivia's P.O.V

I sat on my bed crying during my break. I thought he loved me. I'm so stupid and naïve. He's a prince and I'm just a servant girl.

Someone knocked at my door and I tried to stop crying quickly.

"Yes?" I called, my voice cracking slightly.

"Sweetie, it's me," Mary's voice came muffled through the door.

"Come in," I told her.

She came in and sat on my bed with me, holding me in her arms.

"Now sweetie, I know you loved him, but why are you so distraught? You knew this day would come," she questioned.

That's when I told her. I told her everything that had happened recently between Jordan and I. How I felt about him and how good of a time I had with him. By the end I was crying more, talking through my sobs.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know this had happened," Mary consoled me.

We stayed silently sitting in that position for a long while.

"Are you sure you love him?" She asked.

I nodded vigorously.

"Ok then. Follow me," she instructed me, standing up and leaving my room.

I did as she said and followed her.

*****

We went inside the castle's large fitting room.

"Hun!" Mary called out.

Thomàs came into view with a smile on his face.

"Darling!" He called as he saw Mary, walking over to give her a hug and a kiss.

Thomàs and Mary had been married for over twenty years. I don't see him much, but he is one of my favorite people in the castle. He is always so much fun to be around. They didn't have kids, but they always considered me their kid.

"And Olivia," he came over and hugged me.

"Hi, Thomàs!" I called in return.

"And what can I do for you lovely ladies today?" He asked.

"Do you have a dress?" Mary asked.

"A dress?" Thomàs asked.

"For Olivia to attend the ball."

******

Thomàs had found the perfect dress for me. He stored it carefully in the corner so I could sneak up later and put it on.

Mary and I snuck out of the room and back downstairs to help. The guests would be arriving within the hour.

I finished cleaning the floors and ran back into my room to change. The servants were all given more proper uniforms to serve rather than our daily rags. The female servants were given light blue, button-up dresses with black bowties and black heels. The male servants were given light blue button-up shirts, black slacks, and black dress shoes.

I slipped on the dress and buttoned it up to my collar. I then slipped the bowtie around my neck and tied it. I slipped into my heels and took a deep breath before exiting the room.

My job tonight is to clean up people's messes as the night progresses. As I was walking towards the dining room I bumped into someone.

As I was falling to the ground, a familiar pair of hands protectively slid around my waist. I was brought into Jordan's arms in a tight embrace.

I relished his warmth, completely forgetting about what was about to happen. His warmth enveloped me as I listened to the soft pacing of his heart.

Someone cleared their throat behind us, causing us both to spring apart. Thankfully, it was only Mary.

"Get to work," Mary called to me.

Her words stung. I know she's only pulling us apart to protect me, but I didn't want to lose Jordan. I wanted to spend as much time as possible with him. I would risk spending a life time in prison for just one night with him again.

I left the two, on the verge of tears. No, I won't cry. There has to be a reason why Jordan is doing this. I just have to find out why.

Jordan's P.O.V

As soon as Olivia left, my heart sunk. I tried telling myself it's for her and it's for the best, but it's not working.

"If you break her heart, I will not hesitate to make your life a living hell," Mary warned protectively.

"Of course," I replied with a quick nod.

If I ever hurt her, I would give myself hell, but I would never hurt her.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair as Mary walked away.

"Get to the front to greet the guests, they will be arriving soon," my mother said as she ushered me to the door.

I sighed again but still followed her command. I forced a smile onto my face as I stood at the bottom of the entrance stairs. One by one, elegantly dressed young women greeted me flirtily. I saw it all: high-pitched giggles, hair twirling, eyelash batting, and so many more.

I found myself comparing all of the women to Olivia. None of them are as great as her. None of them are as beautiful as her. Every one of these girls is so fake, but Olivia is so genuine.

I sighed. This is gonna be a long night.

I was right. The night dragged on and every second felt like centuries. Every hand that I touched felt cold as I kissed the back. Every smile was forced. Every compliment was fake. Every dance dragged my heart down more and more.

I was dancing with a brunette. She had a purple mask on and a white, wedding-like dress with her hair in a bun. She danced well, but my heart wasn't in it. I forced another smile on my face as I sighed internally. We danced along with the music at a steady tempo. 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3. Counting the rhythm in my head was all I could do to keep from feeling the emptiness inside. Then the song was over.

I went to sit back down at the front and prepare myself for more fake joy and empty dances when I heard a collective gasp. I looked around me to find that everybody was facing the entrance stairway. I turned around in confusion.

What I saw made my empty, saddened heart beat with new life.