Mine

~Henry Mills~

This is like really long one.  It's like 2,500 words. But it's definitely one of my favorites that I've written so far.

An incident occurs in the mine.

Warnings: violence, Violet being a bitch, jealousy, gas, explosions

Rating: 7/10

.

"Don't screw up, don't screw up, don't screw up" Henry chants.

"Shut up" you remark. Your two fingers gently press into the small plank of wood and it slides forward. The wobbly Jenga tower shifts. Nearly all the pieces had been taken off, and you could be pulling the plank that could knock them all down. You gently pull the Jenga piece out.
It topples over and disassembles.

"Yes!!!!" Henry squeals, pumping his fist.

"Okay. Fine. You win." yous surrender.

"One more time?" he pleads.

"You literally sound like a kid" you remark.

"I would argue that I can always be a kid at heart, even if I am twenty." he says.

"C'mon Henry. It's getting kind of cold. And it's almost dark out. Can I sleep over? No class tomorrow."

"Sure. Let's go"
You lift the oil lamp that burns brightly, illuminating the mineshaft.
Yes.
You are playing Jenga in an abandoned mineshaft.
More specifically, yours and Henry's mineshaft.
You two met here as kids when you wanted to be alone; away from your parents. It was like your salvation from home and school. Then you two became best friends. And this was your special spot. The mine collapsed when Henry was ten; when his real mom came to Storybrooke. But you two dug out a tunnel so you could get back in.
It was a little bit later that Violet came around where you and Henry didn't see very much of each other. Henry ditched school to be with Violet or help Emma and Regina with certain issues happening in Storybrooke. But after he broke up with Violet, nearly four years ago, you guys spent almost every minute together.
It was here, in this mineshaft that you two shared your first kiss.
This was your second home.
You leaned against the black, rocky wall, where you two drew some hieroglyphs once. You're wearing a Michael Jackson shirt with white tank top undershirt and gray sweatpants.
Yeah.
You may not have the best fashion sense, but at least you're protected from the cold.

"C'mon Henry, hurry up." You urge.

"It would go faster if you helped."

"Can I have your jacket?"

"Right now?"

"I'm cold, Henry"

As he removes his jacket, he remarks, "Best possible timing. Couldn't be better. "
You wrap your jacket tightly around yourself. You scan the mine. To most, a mine would be frightening, especially since only an oil lamp is illuminating the mine and a few lit torches on the wall.

"When we get home, can we watch a movie?" you ask, staring at the walls.

"You can watch a movie. I have to study," he says, carefully placing the Jenga pieces into the box.

"I have to study, too" you whine, crossing your arms.

"Then let's not watch the movie"

"What if it's a movie about teachers?"

"Watching a movie about teachers isn't going to help me become one. Besides, I'm majoring in Writing first. The teaching thing comes later after I become a world-famous author."