The Escape

"YOU IDIOTS!!!" Stephanie shouted as she burst into the room. The crash of the door hitting the wall made Evangeline shoot up and immediately hiss in pain.

"What's..... your damage?" She whimpered while forcing herself off the couch. She gently brushed her brother off despite his attempts to lay her back down.

Stephanie scowled and lunged towards Evangeline, wrapping her robotic arm around her neck and lifting her up. "Ack-!" Evangeline choked out, standing on the tips of her toes. "YOU DID THIS! LOKI WILL KILL US YOU IDIOT!"

The red head scratched at Stephanie's arm and kicked her in the gut. Hard. "OOF!" Stephanie yelped as she dropped Evangeline. Both Stephanie and Evangeline doubled over in pain.  Alexei quickly darted over and picked his sister up, glaring at Stephanie as he did so.

Calore poked his head in and scanned the room for his older sister. "Ah! Cal!" Bethany waved her hands to get his attention. Calore darted to his sister and hugged her tightly.

Evelyn grinned and appeared behind Stephanie, pushing her into a closet. "Rood eht kcol." She whispered. A few seconds later they heard the click of the handle. She locked the door.

Diana stepped forth and sighed. "Let's take roll. Say here when your name is called." Everyone crowded around Diana and waited patiently for their name.

"Evangeline?" "Here."

"Calore?" "Here!"

"Evelyn?" ".....here"

She went on through the list of children Laura gave her in case of an emergency. She stopped at the last two. "Where is Jessica an-"

Diana was cut off from a loud sound as Laura crashed through the ceiling, hitting the ground in front of us. High pitched screams could be heard from both the girls and boys as their mentor twitched, healing slower than usual.

She forced herself up and started limping towards the door before Loki floated in and stabbed her arm with his long scepter. Laura let out a scream and she yanked her mangled arm off the blade. She looked at the children with pure terror in her eyes.

With all her strength she shouted to Evelyn, "TAKE THEM OUT OF HERE! HURRY!" Then Loki thrust the scepter through her chest. Her mouth twisted into a shocked expression before her eyes rolled back and she sank to the ground. She clawed at her shirt for a while before slowly stopping.

The children all stood there for what seemed forever, staring at the closest thing they had to a mother die. Bethany broke them out of their trance from a loud scream followed by gasping.

Loki lifted her into the air, his hand firmly gripped around her small neck. Tears streamed down Bethany's eyes as she frantically kicked him. "BETHANY!" Evangeline screeched as she rammed into Loki, making him drop the blonde woman.

Calore and Alexei ran and assisted Bethany while Evelyn and Diana helped Evangeline. Evangeline squirmed as Loki pinned her to the ground and held a knife pointed against her chest. "Funny.... you'll die similar to your mother."

"DAD STOP!" Evelyn appeared in front of her father with trembling eyes. "Leave her alone..." Evelyn's plea must have gotten through to him because he stood up. Not before freezing Evangeline's wrists to the ground.

Evangeline squirmed and tried to reach her Father's shield. She did manage to grab the knife Loki dropped when he got up. "This will have to do...." she murmured while filing the ice.

"Hello Evie..... I've missed you." Evelyn's father walked over and wrapped his arms around his lost daughter. Evelyn stiffened and stepped back. "Leave me alone...." she whimpered.

Loki didn't listen. Instead, he stepped forward again and grabbed her arm. "We're going home." He grinned while waving his hand.

"Ecalp ni ezeerf!!!" Evelyn frantically shouted and yanked her arm away. A black mist enveloped Loki and froze him in place, buying the children enough time to go to the hanger. Evelyn used more magic to get the rest of the children onto the jet.

She stumbled to the ground, rubbing her head and moaning. "Ah- Evelyn?!" Diana called out, pushing through the kids to get to her. Evelyn looked up and screeched. "He got out! Hurry! Go! I used too much power. I'll just slow you down."

Diana hopped off of the jet and ran towards her, not noticing the sudden cold feel of the air. Evelyn did though. "He's here...." she whispered, grabbing Diana's hand. "You have to go. Now!"

Evelyn whispered a couple of words and sent Diana flying into the jet. With a flick of her wrist, Evelyn slammed the door shut and sent the jet off.

She heard the crunch of her father's shoes on the snowy sidewalk, inches away from her.

"I missed you Evie......"