one

Dear Diary,

Love makes you do crazy things.

Pop Tate's Chocolate Shoppe, 6:21pm

Betty Cooper sits in her usual booth, looking down at the table solemnly. It was September, the day before school was set to start. She hadn't seen Archie Andrews all summer. His excuse was that he was working for his father at his construction company, but she knew that was far from the truth. Since they were children, the two had been next door neighbours, and Betty often saw Archie sneaking out in the late hours of the night to go god knows where.

"Betty!" Archie sits down in the booth, smiling brightly at his best friend. "Hi Archie!" Betty immediately feels her heart speed up when he reaches across the table to squeeze her hand softly and quickly. Betty looks Archie up and down, taking in his appearance. His new appearance. His body had went from skinny to muscular. His face had matured, and his red hair was even redder, if possible.

"You look great, Betty." Archie admits, making Betty's cheeks redden immensely. "Y-you too Archiekins." He laughs at the old childhood name, momentarily zoning out and thinking about those days, so long ago. So long before everything had changed. She sips her strawberry milkshake carefully, neatly, as she always did. "Have you erm... seen Jughead lately?" Archie asks, raising a brow at Betty.

"Yeah, I saw him just the other day. And, Archie, I think you should talk to him. He's been going through some stuff." She sighs, playing with her ring, a gift from her older sister, Polly. "I would, if he didn't hate my guts." Archie grumbles, then moves his hand to run through his hair. "What happened now? I know it's been rocky lately, but Juggie really needs a friend."

"If Jughead needed a friend so bad, he wouldn't have lashed out at me the way he did." Archie seethes, obviously mad about the situation. "Arch, what exactly happened?" Betty asks, but Archie's eyes are no longer on hers, they were looking across the room. She turns around, only to see a gorgeous raven haired girl. She takes notice of Archie, and walks over to him.

"Hi there, I'm new here, in Riverdale." Archie stares at the beautiful girl, clearly baffled. "Hi, I'm Archie Andrews, and this is..."

"Betty. Betty Cooper."

The girl smiles, most of her attention is on Archie, which makes Betty feel invisible. "I'm Veronica. Lodge." She holds out a hand to Archie, who gladly shakes her hand. "Nice to meet you, Veronica." Archie smiles up at the girl. "Would you like to join us?" Archie asks, moving over in the booth and patting the seat next to him. "I would love to."

***

The remainder of the night was an absolute nightmare for Betty. Archie had more of an interest in this new girl than he ever had in Betty. In fact, Archie hardly even talked to Betty that night. "Well, I should get going." Veronica announces, which makes Betty sigh in relief. "Let me walk you!" Archie offers, and Veronica smirks at the offer. "I would love that. It was so nice to meet you, Betty!" Veronica smiles sweetly at Betty, and exits the booth.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Betty!" Archie waves goodbye to Betty, who sits in the booth simply flabbergasted. She had just been left by the boy who she's been in love with for half of her life. She feels tears beginning to form in her eyes, and she wipes furiously at them. Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry. She thinks, leaving money on the table for Pop.

She exits the restaurant with tears streaming down her cheeks. Walking quickly through the parking lot and down the street, she bumps into a tall figure. "I-I'm sorry." She apologizes, looking up at the person. "Hey Bets!" Jughead smiles a toothy smile, but notices the tears on Betty's cheeks. "What's wrong?" He asks, placing an arm on her shoulder, rubbing circles. "A-Archie left me at Pop Tate's so he could walk the new girl home!" She sobs, burying her head in the brunette's chest.

"Hey, shh. He's an asshole. We both already knew this. You know how Archie is." He wraps his arms around the blonde, who begins to cry even harder. He kisses the blonde's forehead and rubs her back soothingly. "Betty, he doesn't deserve you. You deserve someone amazing. Don't forget that, okay?" He whispers in her ear, then pulls back from their hug to wipe away her tears.

"Now let me walk you home. Wouldn't want a beautiful girl like you walking all alone at this hour." And, with that, Jughead puts an arm around Betty and walks her home.

A/N
Was that okay?! I hope it was ahhhhh.

Hit me up on my socials and let me know what you thought, or leave a comment here! And if you don't like Bughead, then you should probably leave.

SOCIAL !!!
Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/troyestoes

Twitter: @tronnorlovely