Chapter One - The Triwizard Tournament

Chapter One - The Triwizard Tournament [EDITED]

I sat down at the Ravenclaw table, glad to be finally back at Hogwarts for my sixth year. I smiled and waved at a couple of people in my house, but they just ignored me and went to sit next to their friends, leaving me to drop my hand, feeling sheepish. There was at least a metre long gap between me and the people sitting next to me, but I didn't mind to be honest. I was used to this, so I just considered it as a compliment, seeing as they weren't talking over me or giving me slightly funny looks, like I was deformed in some kind of way. It was only because I had been extremely shy, leaving a lasting impression and a stereotype lingering over me.

Ignoring these funny looks, I looked about the Hall, looking at everyone inside. Harry Potter and his two best friends were sitting themselves down at the Gryffindor table, chatting amongst themselves. I saw other sixth years from different houses happily talking and laughing.

I then caught sight of him.

Cedric Diggory was sitting with all of his friends, talking happily. He looked very much like he did last year, but none the less handsome. I fiddled with a bit of dark hair, twisting the curls over my finger, as if curious about the feeling of it.

I averted my gaze from Cedric and stared up at Professor McGonagall as she placed the wooden stool in front of the whole hall. She then exited and a few seconds later the doors opened again, and she came striding back in with all the first years, who looked absolutely terrified. I smiled at their young faces, hoping we would gain a few good contributions to Ravenclaw...but you never know who would get sorted into which house until they were actually sorted. I noticed one of the first years was wrapped up in Hagrid's Moleskin coat, which was so big for him, it looked like he was wearing some sort of carpet, much less a coat. I wondered if he had fallen in the lake while travelling in the boat or something, because his hair was plastered to his face, which was smiling rather widely.

Professor McGonagall stopped right in front of the three legged stool, with the Sorting Hat perched upon it, looking as decrepit and dusty as ever. The room was completely silent for a moment, until the Hat opened up its seam, like a mouth, and broke into one of its unique songs--

"A thousand years or more ago,
When I was newly sewn,
There lived four wizards of renown,
Whose names are still well known:
Bold Gryffindor, from wild moor,
Fair Ravenclaw, from glen,
Sweet Hufflepuff, from valley broad,
Shrewd Slytherin, from fen.
They shared a wish, a hope, a dream,
They hatched a daring plan
To educate young sorcerers
Thus Hogwarts School began.
Now each of these four founders
Formed their own house, for each
Did value different virtues
In the ones they had to teach.
By Gryffindor, the bravest were
Prized far beyond the rest;
For Ravenclaw, the cleverest
Would always be the best;
For Hufflepuff, hard workers were
Most worthy of admission;
And power-hungry Slytherin
Loved those of great ambition.
While still alive they did divide
Their favourites from the throng,
Yet how to pick the worthy ones,
When they were dead and gone?
'Twas Gryffindor who found the way,
He whipped me off his head,
The founders put some brains in me
So I could choose instead!
Now slip me snug about your ears,
I've never yet been wrong,
I'll have a look inside your mind,
And tell where you belong!"

Once the Sorting Hat had finished singing, it went completely silent and completely still. Everyone started clapping enthusiastically at the Hat's new song; each year it was different, and each year the Hat would sing its new song. I figured it spent the whole of the school year, when it wasn't being used for sorting, thinking of its new song. After all, it must have been a terribly a boring life, being a hat which was only used once a year.