Chapter Fourteen - The Maze

NOTE: If I am not mistaken, this book is very nearly finished! Only a couple more chapters left! :'( I am sad about this, but all things must come to an end, must they not? Anyway, I hope you enjoy this segment and I'll see you, my wonderful reader, at the end of this chapter! :3

Chapter Fourteen - The Maze

It was now the beginning of the Summer Term and the Third Task was getting closer day by day. Cedric still didn't know what the task was yet and therefore, neither did I.  We didn't know how we were going to plan for it or how dangerous this task was going to be. Knowing the Tournament's reputation, this task was ought to be by far the worst.

As the months had crept by since the Second Task, I had found myself slowly falling ever more for the boy of Hufflepuff. I didn't say anything, or act any different, but inside I was screaming. I had never really had quite an odd array of hormones and this was all quite new to me, but I still could guess what this meant and I couldn't force myself to think any different - I was in love with Cedric Diggory. I knew this now and it had taken me the whole year to actually realise this for real, but now I knew, I couldn't think otherwise.

One day, Cedric and I were sitting in the library, enchanting bits of paper to do different things (Cedric made a miniature phoenix and I made a swan) when a Gryffindor second year walked up to us, looking slightly worn out. Had he been looking for us or something?

"Cedric...you have to...go to the Quidditch pitch now. Mr Bagman...wants you. McGonagall says...you can bring Caitlyn if you want. She says she...can trust her." The boy said, out of breath. Cedric exchanged a look with me before nodding. The Gryffindor grinned slightly before turning and walking briskly out of the library. Cedric and I gathered our stuff together before we walked out of the library. I had The Standard Book of Spells: Grade 6 clutched to my chest and Cedric, to my great happiness, had the edition of Quidditch Through The Ages that I bought him, tucked under his arm.

"What would Bagman want me for?" Cedric asked as we exited the library and stood on a moving flight of steps. I shrugged as the stair case stopped moving and we descended and continued down the corridors.

"Maybe he wants to tell you about the Third Task. That would be very handy, wouldn't it. It would leave us some time to prepare for it and make sure you're all ready to win for Hogwarts." I said, nudging him in the ribs slightly. Cedric laughed slightly but kept facing forwards as we walked down yet another flight of steps, down into the Entrance Hall. He turned his head to me slightly as we continued walking.

"I don't think I'm going to win, Caitlyn. But if you say so, I'll give it my best shot." He said, grinning that goofy grin that caused my heart to melt. We continued out of the Entrance Hall and down the stone steps, heading towards the Quidditch pitch. We talked about different aspects of our lessons, about how lucky Cedric was because he didn't have to take his end of year exams and I still did and how we were going to schedule planning for the Task with my studying.

"Your exams finish in time for you to come and see the Third Task, whatever it is. I hope it's an easy exam, so you don't look too frazzled on the day." Cedric said, giving me a slight shove. I staggered a bit and glared up at him, but I couldn't keep a straight face. I rolled my eyes, adjusted my book and continued walking.

"Still have the scarf?" I asked him. Cedric furrowed his eyebrows as if it were a really stupid question, which it probably was, seeing as that was his school scarf.

"Of course. Why?"

"I would quite like to wear it to give you support, seeing as I don't have anything 'Hufflepuff' except for you." I said, using my hands to exaggerate the statement. Cedric laughed silently and nodded, slinging his rucksack over, opening it and throwing the scarf around me, making me look quite like an assassin in yellow. I looked up at him, eyebrows raised, which caused him to crack up. I must have looked quite funny, "Very warm." I said, my voice muffled from the scarf. Cedric managed to calm himself down, but he took another look at me and soon his laughter was uncontrollable again. I slipped the scarf down so it was only covering my neck. It was wrapped around my neck and the ends hung down my front.