Chapter Two - Unforgivable Curses

Chapter Two - Unforgivable Curses [EDITED]

I woke up and got dressed, pulling my pleated black skirt and tights on, before putting my shirt, tie and jumper on. I then put my Ravenclaw robes on and slipped on my black school flats and picked up my black rucksack. I put my curly brown hair into a high ponytail, then I let my owl out of my window one last time for the day, before I slung my rucksack over one shoulder and left the dormitory.

I made my way quite quickly to the Great Hall for breakfast and seated myself on the Ravenclaw table in my usual spot. Timetables were currently being given out. I took one for myself, a Ravenclaw sixth year, and looked at it while munching on my toast. I had Transfiguration with the Hufflepuffs first thing, then Defence Against the Dark Arts with the Hufflepuffs again. I liked the Hufflepuffs, they were kind and got on with their work and weren't usually disruptive. Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw worked well together with intelligence and kindness, knowledge and loyalty thriving being the key things for friendship and working well. I took my book out, The Standard Book of Spells: Grade 6, and started reading it, trying to learn a new charm for making something hover for longer than usual.

I picked up another slice of toast and started nibbling on it, while reciting the charm, when the doors opened again. More students were walking through, talking happily to their friends and looking forward to a good breakfast. I looked up, like a disgruntled owl, then heard that laugh, which was the laugh which always made me feel ever so slightly weak in the knees because of its sheer happiness.

Cedric Diggory walked in with his friends, laughing at something one of them said. I quickly ducked behind my book, not wanting to be seen by any one of them. I didn't want to draw any attention to myself, I didn't like attention. I was too used to being in the 'shadow' that the spotlight seemed like something far too dangerous. Making eye contact had always been hard and awkward for me, and even though it wasn't likely I was going to make eye contact with Cedric, I didn't want to risk it.

I finished off my slice of toast before I quickly got out of my seat, slung my bag over one shoulder and, clutching my book to my chest, scurried out of the hall as quickly as I could. More people were filing into the hall, so I blended in quite well as I edged my way slowly through the mass of students and out into the corridor. Taking a deep breath, I started walking to my transfiguration room. I waited outside the classroom, reading my book, for a little while. Eventually the bell rang and the sound of hundreds of footsteps and talking mouths filled the corridors as the students rushed to get to their lessons.

"The Standard Book of Spells: Grade 6, huh? Neat. And goodness you got here early." A soft voice said from beside me, taking me by surprise. I looked up to see Cedric Diggory looking over my shoulder at my book, his eyes scanning the pages. I had to force a squeal of shock down and struggled to form words, flinching back away from him slightly. Why would he, of all the people in this school, be talking to me? It was most likely because we were alone in this corridor.

"I-I like being early." I stuttered, managing an awkward smile. How did he mange to make his caramel brown hair so wavy and yet so neat? I'm pretty sure that defeats all laws of physics. Cedric smiled at how awkward I was around him, even though it wasn't just him who I was awkward around, I was awkward around anyone I hadn't gotten to know yet, so he shouldn't be considering himself special or something, even though he wasn't.

"You're Caitlyn, with a 'y', right?" He asked, straightening himself up and looking at me, curiously. I nodded, causing him to smile a small smile. He leaned a little bit further away from me, "You're quite shy, huh? I've noticed that you don't sit with people unless the teacher asks and stuff like that. I'm really sorry for being invasive just there. I was curious to see what you were reading." He then said. Was he giving me a sympathetic look? I nodded, blushing slightly.