Chapter Five - The Four Champions

Chapter Five - The Four Champions [EDITED]

In the early hours of Friday evening, every student from Hogwarts and the other schools gathered  in the Great Hall, sitting wherever we pleased, but in organised groups. I sat next to Cho, seeing as the Beauxbatons students were all sat in groups on various tables. The atmosphere in the Hall was positive and excited, everybody chatting excitedly among themselves. It was the time to find out, at long last, who the Champions were going to be. Dumbledore stood at the front of the Hall and looked around at us, his arms raised slightly.

"It is now the moment you have all been waiting for!" He called out to everyone, "The Champion selection!" Several people started fidgeting excitedly. Dumbledore then turned quickly and, using his hand, simmered down all the lights down low, making the flames very small. The room was now more or less dark and it felt very dramatic and important and yet somehow cold.

When all the lights were low, Dumbledore then walked over to the Goblet, his hands outstretched. He touched the side of the Goblet, then backed off slowly. Everyone was looking at the cup of blue, flickering flame with bated breath. Cho was right on the edge of her seat. I thought she was going to fall off the bench and hurt herself, but she seemed quite sturdy.

The Goblet's flames suddenly went red, and a small piece of parchment fluttered out from inside it right into Dumbledore's hand. He opened it carefully and read it to himself. Everyone was silent, they were silent and excited as Dumbledore looked up.

"The Durmstrang champion is," He looked around as the tension rose higher and higher, "Viktor Krum!" Everyone turned to look at the Durmstrang students as they cheered and clapped triumphantly, shouting happily about their champion. Viktor then got down from his bench and walked over to Dumbledore. He shook his hand before Dumbledore gestured to a door at the back. Krum then walked past the tables, getting many claps on the back and he walked up to the door and opened it. He then walked through it and down the steps. Everyone in the room clapped as he disappeared out of sight. At last the noise died down and the Goblet glowed red again.

A more eleganty designed piece of parchment fluttered down gracefully and Dumbledore caught it. He read it carefully then looked at the Beauxbatons table.

"The champion for Beauxbatons is...Fleur Delecour." The Beauxbatons table cheered and clapped as Fleur got out of her seat, smiling triumphantly. I smiled at her as she walked past. She gave me a quick smile before she walked over to Dumbledore and shook his hand. He gestured to the door at the back and she too, while everybody clapped, walked down past the tables, getting many looks from the boys of all the schools, opened the door and skipped down the staircase on the other side.

The Goblet grew red one last time before a scruffier looking piece of parchment soared down towards Dumbledore. He caught it and read it out to the school.

"The Hogwarts champion," He said, looking at us. Everyone who entered for Hogwarts was crossing their fingers or breathing slowly, "Cedric Diggory!" The area where the Hufflepuffs were sitting erupted as Cedric got up, smiling madly, and walked on his way over to Dumbledore. I clapped along with everyone as Cedric shook Dumbledore's hand and walked past the tables. Cho was swooning next to me, clapping so fast I feared her hands would set alight. Many people hugged Cedric as he made his way, beaming, past everyone. Dumbledore didn't object to the people standing up and hugging him. As he walked past me, he smiled at me and tapped my shoulder as if to say 'Look what I did!' I gave him an encouraging smile as he continued down past all the students.

"I was right, what did I say?" Cho squealed into my ear. I just laughed slightly, not knowing what to say on the matter.

I continued to clap as Cedric, like Krum and Fleur, walked through the door and down the steps. Even though I was happy for the boy of Hufflepuff, I felt worried and scared for him. I couldn't help it, my heart just felt heavy as the door shut behind him. The Hufflepuffs were ecstatic, as nothing great really happened for their house. Cedric was the one who was courageous and tried his ultimate best for Hufflepuff, usually getting them some glory in the end. I was happy that the Hogwarts champion was a Hufflepuff; they really deserved some eternal glory for their house. But all the same, I was scared for him. The clapping died down and Dumbledore spoke once more.