Ten - Breaks

One week later

Mia's POV

I sang in my car all the way to my house. I was so happy this week. The situation with Ethan had definitely relaxed some. Alex had been so sweet this whole week. He was no longer serious with me which I loved.

"I look and stare so deep in your eyes
I touch on you more and more every time
When you leave, I'm begging you not to go
Call your name two or three times in a row
Such a funny thing for me to try to explain
How I'm feeling and my pride is the one to blame
'Cause I know I don't understand
Just how your love can do what no one else can"

I sang happily to Crazy in Love which came up on the radio. I felt like a teenager in love again.

I got out of the car when the song ended and walked inside.

"I'm home Ethan" I called out setting my purse down.

He walked out with a smile on his face. Since he got sick again he quit his job and had been staying home for the most part. He needed rest in order to fight his cancer. I didn't mind taking care of the bills and all since I was making a large amount of money working with Alex.

He smiled and walked up to me to peck me on the lips then his face looked confused.

"When did you get that?"

"Hmm?"

I followed his gaze and my heart stopped. I was still wearing the necklace. Every day for the past week I had been taking it off when I got home and putting it on when I got to the office. I was trying to avoid angering him again but because I'd been so into my singing I forgot to take it off.

"Uhm I got it for my birthday" I tried to say nonchalantly.

"Who gave this to you Mia?" He said as his voice turned a little harder.

"I..." I was thinking of what to say when he interrupted and said, "don't lie."

I licked my lips nervously and said, "Alex. He was just being kind since it was my birthday and we work together."

His face contorted in anger and he said, "why have you been wearing it??"

"Because it matched my outfit.."

"Don't lie! I saw you leave this morning and you didn't have it on! You were trying to go wear it behind my back weren't you?!"

"Ethan please..." I said my voice slightly trembling.

I thought he was going to hit me when I saw him raise his hand so I closed my eyes and tried to block my face when I felt a sting against my neck.

I looked up to see my broken necklace firmly gripped in his hand. His anger radiating off of him in waves. I knew he'd be more upset if I cried but I couldn't help the tears running down my cheeks. He looked even more angry then he threw the necklace down and started stomping on it. I couldn't help but slightly whimper when I saw it break again.

"I told you you're mine Mia! Only mine you understand me!!" I tried to ignore his screaming so that I could stay calm. I figured once he broke it and was done with it I would pick it up and save it, maybe try to fix it if it was possible. I was very wrong to think he'd be done and leave it there though.

I cried even harder when I saw him pick up the pieces and head to the kitchen. I almost wanted to scream and stop him from throwing the pieces down the drain but I knew that would not end well for me.

After he was done with his fit he stomped out of the house angrily slamming the door in his way out. I slightly jumped at the loudness of the door and was surprised it didn't break.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and saw the red mark on my neck from where he had pulled it.

I looked down the drain hoping to find something maybe not all of it went down. I used my flashlight to look but it was gone.

My heart was heavy as I went to the living room again looking at the ground. Maybe there would be a piece left here. I looked around for what seemed like a long time when I saw the small green gem sparkle.

My heart fluttering excitedly that something had endured his attack.

I gently picked it up and cradled it against my chest. When I heard the car outside on the driveway I ran to the room and hid the gem in one of my drawers knowing he wouldn't find it there.

I sat on the bed because my knees were shaking in fear. I saw him come into the room with a box in his hand.

"Here, if you want a necklace then you're wearing this one baby. I got it just for you."

He opened the box for me and I saw a small gold necklace with a bar in the middle that said, "M & E"

"You'll wear this everyday okay? All day. This is a way to prove my love to you. I never want you to take it off and trust me I will know if you're not wearing it Mia" he said threateningly.

He didn't even ask how I felt about it. Next thing I knew he was putting it on me. A tear fell down my cheek as he kissed my neck.

"You're mine Mia" he said.

Alex's POV

I kept glancing at the door. Since I knew Mia would be here anytime now. I smiled widely when I saw her come in.

"Good morning" I said expecting her usual grin in return.

"Good morning" she said back a little less happily than normal.

She avoided my gaze the whole morning as we worked and by lunch time I had had enough. I wanted to look into those ocean blue eyes.

"Would you like to have lunch?"

"I'm not really hungry today so I'll pass" she said quietly.

"You should eat something, at least accompany me? I don't like to eat alone."

She agreed quietly almost like she didn't want to. I needed to find out what was happening.

We walked to lunch together and she kept her head down the whole time despite the fact that I kept trying to have a conversation with her.

We sat down across each other and even if she looks down she couldn't hide it any longer. I was straight across from her so I had the perfect view of her neck. She wasn't wearing the necklace. She was wearing a necklace but not the one I gave to her.

I could tell there was some writing on it but her hair was in the way.

"That's a nice necklace you're wearing" I said.

She looked up at me somewhat nervous which confused me. It all clicked when her hair uncovered the gold bar and I saw what I said.

M & E

Those three letters hurt me more than I ever thought possible. She took off the necklace to wear his instead? How could she do that after saying she wouldn't ever take it off?

"Thank you" she said so softly I almost missed it.

I couldn't take my eyes off of it. The initials. Constantly reminding me that she was in love with someone else.

I don't know what I was thinking. I was a fool to think we would ever stand a chance. I had my chance a long time ago and I lost it. Just because I forgot what happened doesn't mean she did too.

We both sat there in awkward and tense silence eating a plate of food that we both had lost the appetite for.

She kept her eyes down the whole time. The only difference between now and before was that my eyes were avoiding hers as well because I didn't want her to see the unshed tears and raw pain in them.