Eighteen - Life and Death

3 months later
Mia's POV

I texted Alexander to let him know I was going shopping. Christmas was coming up soon and I wanted to have the perfect gift for him. Today was a good day to go since he had to go to work. Since the day he rescued me from Ethan he had been working from home until last week. I could tell working from home made him anxious mostly because he couldn't be physically present in his office. I knew being around me also distracted him from being completely into his work. I told him it was okay if he went back but he refused.

"Not until we catch him Mia" was what he had said when I suggested he went back to the office. After our last argument over him trying to be in control of my life, he has been a lot more thoughtful in the way he speaks to me which I appreciate.

I quickly finished getting ready when I got a reply, I can meet you in an hour, wait for me.

I texted back, I am taking Hunter and Keen, no need to leave work, love you.

He must have gotten busy because he did not text back. I knew he did have a meeting today so it was probably that.

As I headed downstairs I realized that Keen had been out sick today. Alex must have forgotten to tell me because Hunter explained he told him this morning.

"That's fine Hunter, it'll be just you and me today then"

"No ma'am, We can have one of the other men come with us for your safety."

"Please just call me Mia, and we are just going shopping, I am sure you can handle a tiny shopping spree" I said teasingly.

He hid a smile and as we left the house.

"Mia, have you let Mr. Kingston know or should I update him?"

"He knows."

He nodded quietly and began driving to the closest mall.

I was already thinking what could I possibly get a man who had everything. Maybe I could get him a nice watch? Or possibly some new shirts?

Honestly he could buy himself anything so this would be longer than expected. As we neared the mall, I felt somewhat uneasy. It must have been because I was so used to having both Hunter and Keen with me when I left the house.

I walked into the mall with  Hunter and his vigilant eyes by my side. I had somewhat gotten used to the idea of having a bodyguard always with me now. We first walked into a tech store because I know Alex always gets excited around new gadgets. Even Hunter next to me seemed excited by the new electronics available which made me smile. He reminded me of a little boy when he smiled.

I was glad Alex had assigned Hunter to me because he really was like a big giant teddy bear. Even though he looked much more intimidating at first with his large muscled arms and chest.

"Mia?" He asked me.

"Yeah?"

"I think Mr. Kingston might like this."

He pointed towards a small object that looked like a tree but instead of leaves had solar panels. It was a small mobile tree charging station. I knew Alex would love it so I decided to get him that as well as a few other gadgets.