Eleven - Flashbacks

Mia's POV

I had been feeling tense the whole afternoon. After lunch when Alex saw my necklace I could see he was upset even though he was trying to hide it.

I wanted to take off Ethan's necklace but I knew it would be too obvious if I did that. I wanted to explain to Alex why I wasn't wearing the necklace but if I did that I knew he would be so angry and I didn't want more problems between him and Ethan. I just did not want to make Ethan even more upset.

He's usually a sweet and caring guy but I think the treatment he's undergoing for his cancer can cause so many mood changes in him and make him irritable.

I sighed while looking at my computer screen.

Alex's voice startled me because I was distracted.

"Mia, I just got an e-mail about a deal that needs to be taken care off. It's in Rio de Janeiro, I know it's very last minute but I was just notified."

Rio? The mention of that place brought back so many flashbacks of our honeymoon.  Things were just so different now.

"When would this trip be?" I asked uncertain mostly because I didn't think Ethan would be too happy with it.

"Tomorrow, I know it's very last minute but I really need you there. It's the deal with Ferreira and it will really propel Kingston corporation in the renewable energy area."

Tomorrow? That was definitely not enough to talk to Ethan about it. He would be so mad.

I was about to say no when I realized that this was not who I was. I am a strong, intelligent and independent woman who can make decisions for herself without being scared of a man. I should not be afraid of Ethan and I would not miss out on a great opportunity just because he would not like it.

"Yes, I can go. How many days?"

"We would leave tomorrow which is Tuesday and come back Friday."

"Okay, I'll be ready."

I walked out of the office feeling confident in myself. I would tell Ethan I would go only for a few days. There was no reason for him to be upset.

As I approached the house I could feel my confidence waning. My hands began to get a little sweaty but I kept repeating my mantra in my head: I'm strong and independent.

Ethan's POV

I can't understand what's taking Mia so long to get home. She's probably trying to flirt with Alex.

I could feel myself becoming more irritated. I could see that I was losing her to him. How dare she wear a necklace he gave her when she's mine.

I would keep her by any means necessary. Even if that meant faking having cancer again or keeping her by force.

I needed to get out of this house. I had been spending too much time at home lately since I didn't have a job because I was pretending to be sick.

"Ethan?" Mia called out as she opened the door.

I went out to meet her and smiled when I saw her wearing the necklace I gave her. She looked so beautiful in that white summer dress. Her long hair in curls framing her face.

I went up to her and kissed her somewhat possessively so she knew she belonged to me. She gave me a small smile. I could tell she was a little scared of me now because of the necklace incident. But at least this way I would make sure that she wouldn't leave even if it was only because of fear.