ch. 9 | sunset

Will looked out of the window and took a deep breath.

He was so close to freedom yet so far away. The only thing that was trapping him was the four walls of the room and his poor health. He sunk down in his bed, feeling sorry for himself once again. He had a routine of throwing pity parties and this was just one of those days.

He closed his eyes and imagined what a normal life would be like. He often thought of where he would be if he never encountered the upside down. But then shuddered at the memory of the demogorgon. The grotesque creature whose high pitched shriek still rang in the back of his mind. The events of the upside down still haunted him and left him scarred to this very day. Yet, another reason he was giving up on his dream of a normal life. He would never be normal ever again.

"Hello Will, I'm here with your medication for the day" Doctor Jones said, holding a bottle of pills

Will just remained silent and proceeded to turn on the TV

The doctor placed the pills on the table next to Will's bed "Take two pills every six hours when you're feeling nauseated"

He ignored him, flipping through the channels instead

"Here's some water to wash it down with" Dr. Jones commented, placing the water near the pills

The cup then fell over onto the table causing a big spill. Will finally took notice as the water leaked all over the floor.

"Damn" Jones mumbled under his breath "I'll go get some towels" He said, rushing out the door

Will looked over and saw that Dr. Jones had left his clipboard. The doctors never left any of their things behind so this was a shock to him.

He soon grew curious about what could possibly be on that clipboard. Maybe it would answer how much longer he'd have to be stuck here or maybe it had the answers to what was actually wrong with him, either way he just wanted to know.

He looked at it and then looked back at the door wondering how long it would take for the doctor to get back.

Will slowly sat himself up in his bed. He felt weak, but he needed to grab the clipboard that laid over on the doc's chair.

He steadied himself, always keeping a constant eye on the door. He slowly swung his legs to side of the bed and gathered any strength he could muster up.

He made his way towards the clipboard. Each step seeming like a small victory as time dwindled down more and more.

He walked carefully because he knew if he tried to run, it would only make things worse for him. He was already feeling his legs starting to give in.

Suddenly he grabbed the board and yanked out a couple pages from it, stuffing them in his hospital gown.

He bit his lip as he carefully placed the clipboard back in it's rightful position.

The faint noise of footsteps could be heard outside of his door and panic suddenly overcame him.

He cautiously walked back to his bed, praying that he wouldn't collapse in the meantime.

Dr. Jones came through the door

"I found some towels" He stated, walking in and kneeling on the ground where the spill was

Will kept quiet, he hoped the doctor hadn't suspected anything. He observed him closely, patiently waiting for him to leave

After the spill was cleaned up, Dr. Jones took his clipboard and left. The door shutting behind him.