ch. 27 | forever

This was all so surreal, it was unlike anything she had ever seen before.

Light brilliantly glowed as blankets of white endlessly filled the vast space.

Oh how she desperately wanted to reach out and touch it.

She wondered if maybe this is what heaven looks like.

Suddenly she felt a warm hand gently grip her own

"Amazing, isn't it?"

She turned around with a bright smile inching on her face

"Well if you think this is amazing, just wait until we get there"

That was something she was definitely looking forward to.

She couldn't wait to see this "California" that Mike always talked about.

After the whole Hawkins ICU incident, El couldn't explain it but she felt free for the very first time.

Lowe had been sentenced to prison, not only for his inhumane practices but also for tampering with government military affairs. The two monsters that survived and we're still caged were properly disposed of by the CIA and Will along with his family were doing so much better. He loved being back home and being back with his friends. He is currently being enrolled in Hawkins High so they can all spend senior year together. And El, well she was a living miracle. Nobody knew how she made it but she somehow did. She pulled through remarkably, even though she had to spend awhile recovering, everyone was just too overjoyed that she was still with them.

Once summer break hit the boys got summer jobs but instead of using their money to buy a car like they initially intended they decided to go on a trip to Santa Monica in which they invited El, Max, and Will as well.

This was all their last week of summer vacation and they wanted to make it a memorable one. They truly deserved it to say the least, especially after everything they had been through.

El gazed out of the plane window again, reflecting back on her year. It was a roller coaster of ups and downs for sure, but still it was a year she would never forget.

She remembered the surprise birthday party they had thrown for her.

She didn't have a clue why each of them we're being so secretive.

Even Max was in on it and encouraged El to have a girl's day out, just the two of them. El didn't even know Max knew what a girl's day out was and the fact that she agreed to actually go to the mall with her made El quite suspicious.

But she didn't say a word because she liked being able to hang out with Max, it was great to just hang out with another girl and go shopping.

However, once they got back to El's place she had no clue why the lights we're off and quickly turned them on using her powers before they got in the door

El immediately saw everyone

Dustin and Will waved their arms "Uh surprise?"

"Damn it El, you ruined it" Lucas stated "But since it's your birthday, I'll let you off the hook" He smiled, nudging her

El looked around the room in awe at the decorated house with streamers and birthday balloons.

Mike suddenly burst through the door carrying a large chocolate cake with lit candles "SURPRISE!" he paused, glancing around "I guess I'm late.."