ch. 11 | solace

Mike chased after El, weaving in and out of the teens along the hall.

"Watch where you're going man!" one kid yelled as Mike accidentally bumped into him "Geez, Where's the fire?" groaned another

He ignored the ongoing comments as he got closer to her "El! Hold up!"

She walked briskly out of the double doors that led to the entrance of the school, using her powers to slam them before Mike could catch her. He was too late.

"El..." He softly said under his breath

"Students get to class!" the principal yelled "This is no time for lollygagging!"

He hung his head down in disappointment as he slowly trudged to his last class. Chemistry.

El went straight home. She was lucky that Hopper and Rachel were working today and wouldn't be there until much later.

She stormed to her room and sat her back against the wall trying to make sense of things. The past hour weighed heavily on her heart. She didn't understand why Mike would ask her to the dance if he already asked another girl. She also didn't understand why Tracey referred to Mike as boyfriend.

She cringed at the idea that Mike had been with Tracey. The idea that they kissed or even went on dates made her feel ill. She couldn't comprehend this emotion that was making her feel this way. She didn't want to hate Tracey. She really didn't.

That bad feeling along with hurt gripped her strongly. As much as tried to block him out of her mind, she just couldn't.

She had trusted Mike.

She had trusted him from the very beginning even when she was scared to. She didn't know much beyond the walls of Hawkins lab back then but when she first saw Mike and heard his voice she had felt something different with him. As she spent more time with Mike she learned to trust, but she also learned something else as well. She learned to hope. For he was her hope from the evils of the upside down, her hope from the pain she endured from the one she called "Papa," and her hope for a better tomorrow.

She put her face in her hands while tears flowed freely down her cheeks

Once the bell rang he quickly made his way to bike rack, without so much as glance at his group of friends

Dustin looked his way "Dude, in a hurry much?"

"I need to see El" He replied, fidgeting with the bike lock

"I thought you guys had a study session" Lucas said in a mocking tone

"She's pissed, and I just.. damn." he mumbled as he messed up the combination "I just need to talk to her okay"

Max crossed her arms disdainfully "What even happened?"

"Okay guys get this.. Tracey comes out of nowhere saying I asked her to homecoming! then El leaves and I'm just trying to make things right" He said, hopping onto his bike

Dustin and Lucas shot each other the same awkward look "OH SHIT"

Mike stopped, putting his bike down "Do you guys know something I don't?" he questioned

"Well uh.. It was all Dustin's idea!" Lucas yelled, pointing at the curly haired boy

"You can't blame me when you're the one who wrote the letter!" Dustin retorted

They continued to banter back and forth

"Your idea, Your fault!"

"Your letter, your problem!